HybridZ

Putting heavier oil in original 280Z shocks

Hey, guys.

When I pulled the rear suspension from a late 280Z (a 1977, I think) I saw that it was rebuildable. Has anyone tried using a heavier weight oil in the resevoir to firm up an otherwise stock suspension? It seems like this would be a very inexpensive way to increase your damping.

Whaddya think?

Scott

i some ways the bigger piston diameter is better than a small diameter piston of a replacment cartridge.i have run tokico illumina struts with my coil overs for years .with the springs i run i need more rebound dampening but the struts are not double adjustable like a modern dirt bike shock.you can get different weight fork oil at motorcycle shops.the shim stacks on the bottem of the shock piston may be able to be changed but you might have to dissassemble another set for more small parts.a shock dyno would be a big help because then you wouldnt have to put the strut back on the car to test it-it would be within 90% of good enough when it went back on car.good luck-sometimes you learn from your work instead of spending money.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'm curious about the "performance per dollars spent" aspect. it sounds like putting slightly thicker oil might be the cheapest way to stiffen up the rear suspension.

But then, considering that it only cost me $54 to put new gas struts in, it's not a lot of money saved, is it?

Oh well. I guess if there was significant performance to be had from just changing oil, the factory would have already done it, wouldn't they?

The problem with changing the oil in a shock is that it affects everything (low and high rebound and low and high bump). Its a good cheap way to stiffen up rebound, which is what most cars need to help handling, but you'll end up with stiffer bump which just makes the ride harsher.

I had a '49 Cadillac once that the old airplane type shocks went soft on. I aded STP to it. Wouldn't recommend that. The Caddy was a special situation and it actually worked. Sometimes - but rarely - you can survive ignorance.

Personnally I'd replace the springs with new ones and then do the same with the struts. If you want to do the oil substitution as a stop-gap until you've got the $$ to do the other I understand but there is no substitue for good equipment.