HybridZ

How the snark does one remove the ignition lock thing?

TeeJayHoward

The ignition cylinder is held in by a rolled pin...looks like somebody drilled out the one that was there. There is NO depressable retainer, simply the rolled pin. You'll need to drill NEXT TO the rolled pin, use a small punch and pry it out, rememebering that you'll need to reinstall it to hold the new lock in. I do these all of the time as that's what I do for a living. I'm an Automotive Locksmith. If you've never done it before, it can be aggravating. Take Armand's advice...seek professional help...

Warren

The ignition cylinder is held in by a rolled pin...looks like somebody drilled out the one that was there. There is NO depressable retainer, simply the rolled pin. You'll need to drill NEXT TO the rolled pin, use a small punch and pry it out, rememebering that you'll need to reinstall it to hold the new lock in. I do these all of the time as that's what I do for a living. I'm an Automotive Locksmith. If you've never done it before, it can be aggravating. Take Armand's advice...seek professional help...

Warren

That would explain the hole next to the pin, then. Apparently, this lock's been replaced before! I'll take ya'lls advice and find a local locksmith. $20 is definitely within my budget.

I don't suppose there's any way to install a more study locking mechanism here, is there? Like, say, something from an Audi TT? I'm rather fond of the solid feel to their key. My new lock and key set feels like it's going to snap if I turn it too hard.

Easy fix... Don't turn it so hard... Sorry, couldn't resist. Unfortunately, it's not likely that you'll find many other lock mechanisms that fit into the original housing and it's unlikely that you'll find another switch/steering lock assembly that will fit onto the cheapy Datsun steering column properly or that match up with the location based on the trim pieces.

Do yourself a favor while you're at it... using a black magic marker, write the key code (numbers stamped into the new keys) on the outside of the housing of the new lock assembly, that way if you ever lose your keys, you'll have it written somewhere on the vehicle and it'll still be hidden behind the plastic shroud.