HybridZ

vq35 question

Initial Z

So Ive been looking into the vq35 swap for my 240z and was wondering if its much trouble to mount the 350z tranny to a vq35 from a FWD car such as the Maxima or Sentra? It seems like FWD versions of this engine are quite a bit less expensive and more common than the RWD (although not quite as powerful). Also if anyone knows of a good source for these engines with in 200 miles of Portland Oregon I'd like to know. Thanks

If you go F/I it wouldnt really matter if the VQ is from FWD or RWD chassis but im pretty sure the sump is diffrent and the engine mounts are in diffrent location . But as F/I go you will swap out the internals anyway and do some home made head work while you wait for the block to come back ... well thats my plan .

OK, thanks guys.

A couple more questions regarding the VQ35...

Has anyone ever seen a carburated VQ35 and or what do you think of that as far as performance, cost, practicality, coolnes? (I"m kinda thinking about doing 3 SU carbs and making it look like it was a factory option engine with original style air cleaner.)

Also what kind of power numbers are possible with the VQ35 in NA form?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I take it from the lack of response that you guys don't like my idea.:cry: Thats fine I can take it.:o I ordered my tranny today so I have that to look forward to. Next I need to save up for the engine. I'll be looking for a Sentra or Maximu vq unless I can find a 350z vq at a good price. There is a Sentra vq for sale here in Portland that comes with the FWD tranny all for $800. anyone know what that tranny is worth? Well I'll keep ya posted.

I encourage your swap! I have an 04 Maxima and love the engine, it's the best thing about the car. Well, that and the cavernous roominess compared to the Z. But I digress.

Sentras don't come with VQ3.5's unless it has been hybridized. Altimas, Maximas, Quest minivans, Muranos, 350Zs do. Stay away from VQ2.5s older than a couple of model years if you are going that route. Never heard of a carburated VQ, but anything is possible. As far as N/A power, I know of several FWD applications that are running over 300fwhp and the 350Zs definitely have that number down in stockish form (pretty much just a different cam from the FWD applications). I think your idea of triple SUs is cool, but would be a one-off job all around. A cheap FWD engine w/ecu and a 350Z 6 speed tranny would be the way to go IMHO :> OR, you could run the whole thing with megasquirt and be my hero ;>