HybridZ

Oil in the strut housing

I've seen this topic before, about putting oil in the strut housing like the factory manual says, to act as a heat sink. The only reason I'm bringing this up again is because I'm putting my front suspension back together and it's easier to do this now than later. Is this really necessary? I have never done this for any car I have ever owned, and I'd rather not cause it's seems kind of messy (and a waste of oil to boot). How many of you people use oil and how many have not?

Yes it is necessary, as ive seen insert removed that didn't have a liquid to transfer the heat and they had burnt the paint off them, which is certainly not good for the hydraulic oil. I don't use oil as it can look like a leak. Use coolant which will do a better job and will not cause corrosion.

Steven

Coolant does prevent corrossion, it just doesn't "stick" to the parts as well. How can oil in the tube contribute to suspension damping? The strut insert does that and is completely self contained. The insert is solidlly bolted into the housing if installed correctly it has zero movement, thus nothing to be damped.

Guest Anonymous

I would imagine on an extreme driven machine anti freeze or oil would have an advantage in cooling properties. Anti freeze sounds like a solution that would have temperture control benefits for the hard run.