HybridZ

rotisserie plans

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest 400 ci 280z

i am going to get my material for a rotisserie and a welding table friday. my question is does anyone have a bill of materials on how much to get. also what are you using (angle iron, pipe, or square tube?). i only want enough to make a st with out the bar that connects the two for now. if someone could help thanks ahead of time.

chris

Guest jdllaugh

The pivot point is about 39 inches off the ground. The pivot point needs to be approximately 5 inches above the bumper mounting points to attain reasonable balance on a 240z which has been completely stripped.

Each base has a 24 inch long 2.5 x 2.5 inch square tube inside of a 24 inch long 3x3 in. tube. These were scrap pieces I got for free, but they're not ideal, because there's a little slop between the telescoping tubes. I tapped in a couple screw drivers as wedges to take up the slop as a stop-gap measure. This weekend I may drill a hole in the 3x3 tubes, weld on a nut and screw in a setscrew to lock the tubes together better.

That said, here's a list of materials to build the two rotisserie units:

3x3 square tube -- 48 inches

2.5 x 2.5 square tube -- 48 inches

2.5 in. round tube -- 12 inches

2 in. round tube -- 24 inches (must telescope inside the 2.5)

1.5 by 2.5 in. rectangular tube -- 12 inches

1x2 in. rect. tube -- 24 inches (must telescope inside the bigger stuff)

2x2 by 1/4 angle for the arms and feet -- 16 Ft.

Various weld-on nuts and bolts to lock things in place.

Wall thickness varies on all the pieces, but the thinnest is probably 12 gauge -- reasonably thick stuff.

Each "foot" is 12 inches, or two feet across the base. In retrospect, longer wouldn't hurt. I also think I need some bracing from the feet to the base tube. When I get into rythmic scraping, the car does rock just a bit, but not enough to get scary. :D

The car is upside down in this picture

rot%20close%20with%20screwdrivers.jpg

WARNING: I am not an engineer! If you build one of these, it's at your own risk!!!! If you drop your Pride & Joy on a hard concrete floor, don't come cry2.gif to me!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Williemite

Now that we are on this subject. I have 250gto body on my 71 240z w/350sbc. I would also like to build a rotisery, But I havn't any bumper mounts due to fiberglass. I have many hours of creeper work and lots of welding. Does anyone have any great ideas I dont mind if its complicated if you don't. Thanks, Will

• 7 months later...

I have two engine hoists which makes it fairly simple. If i had to build it over again, i would make the end posts telescope. Then i would install hydraulic jacks on each end. This would allow me to put the car on jack stands, hook up the end brackets, and then jack the ends up to the desired height.

With this set up, I could potentially put the car on the rotissurie and have it flipped upside down in less than 15 mins.

It would be an easy modification to make to my current design.

Guest tt350

Really? wow, thats pretty crazy. Ok, so its not so expensive to put it on a Rotisserie, thanks.

Im plannin on making one in the middle east. I just hope they have A/C garages, cuz i dont wanna be on the ground in 130+ degree weather.