HybridZ

bonnet not closing.

Guest ftkz

Note: my car is a 76 260 2+2

When I try to close my bonnet, the latch won't move enough to hook into position, nor will the spring lock.

Instead, they hit the locking mechanism towards the front, so in other words, the side of the mechanism furthest away from the firewall.

When i take the latch and spring off the bonnet and try to close the bonnet, there seems to be a very minor fitment issue which requires the bonnet to be pushed towards the drivers side (passenger in the US) but it is only approximately 1mm or 2mm.

It doesn't sound like it's related to the fitment issue although it's the only thing i can think of. any other suggestions?

I've had various problems with the latch on my 260. It's on what is at least its 3rd hood(assuming the one wiped out by a deer before I bought it was the original), the last one was a 280 unit with vents, which gave me some trouble if I didn't push hard enough straight back from the front of the car and let it slam shut. I bent the latch support one night trying to get it closed and had to bend it back.

I replaced the 280 hood with a solid unit that had some serious fitment issues before I removed the latch mechanisim and filed a bit off of the leading edge of the latch. It closes fine now(pretty tightly downward, actually), but I still have to stand on the passenger side and push a bit toward the driver's side a bit to close the hood.

It's on slightly askew to begin with, and I'm wondering if this is because the car itself is warped from hitting the deer. The front left corner is much closer to the headlight bucket than the front right.

Not sure if there's an easy way to realign everything.