HybridZ

Buying a new used car ?? advice What to look for (non Z related)

nbesheer

Okay so at work I met this older lady with a 2000 Toyota Corolla VE (base model auto, manual windows/locks) with 182k miles. it has a small dent from someone backing into the fender but is only cosmetic. kbb puts the car at at least 3.5k and the lady said she was selling it for 1k which I think is a steal. so what should I look for on the car? obviously if it leaks oil I can get a free serpentine belt at work so that's no worry. just nay thing to look for would be good.

Check the level/color of the oil and Tranny fluid. Check the brakes. Check the air filter. Check to see if the timing belt was done. Check coolant color/level. Check belts for cracks and tightness of them. Check brake fluid, power steering fluid, clutch fluid if its a stick. Umm thats all i can think of right now. I have a list at work that we check when people want us to inspect a car.

I like buying cars that have oil pressure gauges. If you can get away with it do a compression test on it also. Smell the oil and transmission fluid as stated. "Feel" the transmission. If it doesn't shift like you think it should stay away. The rest of a list would be endless. For $1k you can't go too wrong.

If you can find out which tranny, there are several, the best being the toyota 4 speeds. Also some ( I'm not sure if they all have the same engine) have timing chains. A/C- Heat is weak in those cars, but work. My friends' had the VVTi sensor die ( it should pull good all the way up) otherwise a persistent CEL.