HybridZ

flamed out the motor in my Peterbilt

dr_hunt

Hauling one of my loaders to do some work out of town, cruising along and "Bang" rattle rattle, puff, puff, knock, knock, knock, etc, etc. Looks like the #4 piston broke. Limped it on in and unloaded it. Now it's time for an inframe on the NTC400 cummins. Only hard part is finding out what injectors are in it since they were custom built pieces from diesel injection of Pittsburgh. They make NTC 400 engines up to 1500HP! Wonder what I could break with that kind of HP?!!!

Mine was loaded with a 4 series holset mapwidth enhanced turbo, turbo boot, dual fuel line kit, fuel pressure gauge, 190psi fuel pressure setting and was laying down 505HP to the tires. Well, at least it was doing that.

Oh, well, fun in store for the next few days while a buddy and I fix that. Wish I was working on the z instead!

Just got off the phone, parts on order, going to up it alittle to about 550HP this time around. I didn't do too bad, I got about 550,000 miles out of that last build. Cylinder pressure ended up being too high which probably caused this failure, so I'm going to retard the timing a few thousandths to about .080 from the .074 that it was set at. That should lower the peak cylinder pressure

Well, I'd think about the cat motors but at $10K plus for an inframe with cylinder head, I think I'll stick with my cummins since this build is only costing me $2300 which includes reman heads, pistons, liners, R&M bearings, gaskets, rings and new injectors.

Big diesels are made to "inframe" rebuild. The only reason you'd pull the engine is to replace the crank, crank rear seal or machine the block cause you got it too hot. Other than that, it's completely rebuildable in the truck which saves alot of time and expense.

Man, I wish our 'new' skid steer loader was an 'in frame' job.. My boss got this New Holland 985LX a few weeks ago, (in about a million pieces!) that the previous owner had pulled the motor out of, along with a few other things, after it sunk. Yah, sunk in a lake; POP goes the motor! (it was left runing on the ice, which I can only assume was a bit thin!) Oh, and the towing company that pulled it out in the spring MANGLED the cab/link bars/mast. Evrything is bent and 'tweeked' including the main frame. Blew the #4 piston to bits, bent the rod, and put it through the block/cyl wall in a few places. :-( Head is 'ok' but the block is toast.

This is just a 'little' diesel motor, 4 cyl 5.0L and it is HEAVY... Hell, it took two people just to pick the crank up! And it must be worth it's weight in gold, cause myboss called around for a 'new' motor and it's about $9K. :shock: So a used block/piston/con-rod it is!! :lol: That's still over $3000, plus now WE have to put it all back together, after someone else disassembled it!

Good luck with the re-build man. :)

I used to own a '78 Kenworth with a KTA 600 in it. It was a good running oled truck and with a "4 button" in the pump it made about 750 hp at the flywheel. It had a real double over (5spd overdrive main box and a 4 speed overdrive brownie). That truck would pull a 6% grade at 53 mph grossing 80 grand, and pass anything but a fuel stop. Unfortunatly you can't make a living any more with q truck that only gets 3 1/2 mpg:( My current Pete has a 600 cat, but it ain't in the same league as the old KW. Here is a pic of Diesel Darlene, the lavender Peterbilt.

096_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the KTA's were HUGE! 1150 CUBIC INCHES! Compared to the NTC series at 855 cubic inches it's simply awesome. To see one stuffed in an extended hood truck is amazing, they just look like a total hotrod! Somewhere on the net I saw there was a KTA powered pulling truck making around 2500HP!

Ok, check out this site http://www.dieselinjection.net I bought my parts from them.

I got the ceramic/teflon coated piston kits, +2 size injectors, .080 retarded cam key, fuel pump kit. already had the dual fuel line kit, 4 series mapwidth enhanced turbo, fuel pressure gauge and turbo boot.

We should be good for 600FWHP and about 550HP to the ground. Looking for 36 pounds of boost max. Can hardly wait! Old hotrodders make everything fast I guess.

A little off topic, but it was built for a Peterbilt. My brother in law asked me if I could fix the visor for his truck. I told him I would IF I could do whatever I wanted with it. It was pretty badly cracked so I welded in a length of 1/4" rod to reinforce the front lip, then I welded and ground down all the cracks. Then I painted it up for him. A few nites later I made the flame hood ornament for him. He was pleasantly shocked when I gave him back the visor and completely blown away when I pulled out the hood ornament. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it on the truck. Here's the pics:

s_Visor_003.jpg

Pictures0050.jpg