HybridZ

What is your track width? Front and rear? Scottie? Pete?

Looking to find what the widest track widths people have. The "stock" front track width is 53.5 inchs,(1359mm), and the "stock" rear is 53 inchs,(1346mm). By track width, I mean from the outside of one wheel/tire to the outside of the opposite wheel/tire.

Scottie, what is the wheel to wheel distance for your C4 setup? Pete, what is yours in the front and rear? Just looking for a tape measure distance, accurate to about a half an inch.

Trying to find out how wide you can go with some small flares and under the stock fenders. To give you an idea, I am looking at something that has a track width in the 58.25 range, front and rear. So roughly 5 some odd inches over stock. I think 3 of those inches will fit under stock fenders. Trying to see if that extra 2 or so inches will fit under small flares. That is why I was asking you Scottie and you Pete,(since yours is about as wide as you can go under stock fenders and scottie has the small flares).

Yes, I am looking at some crazy things, but not telling for a month or so. It is pretty exciting. And no Dan, not what we talked about. If you know, no telling!

-Bob

Guest Anonymous

In a discussion in another topic very recently, it was said that a person could probably go a easy 6" over the width of the stock rear considering that wheels can usually be had with a 6" backset. That opens alot of donor's IMHO. Can't wait to hear what you have in mind, I have a few idea's myself but havn't yardsticked them yet. (Don't tell lone though, next thing you know he'll have pictures of you stuff on the forum.. :D inside joke from a recent post). :D

Regards,

Lone

Scottie,

I forgot you had measurements on that page. 66" end to end? Wow, the largest I have looked at is 61. However, that is published track widths. Does anyone know how that compares to actual wheel end to wheel end? Is that measured wheel center to wheel center or otherwise? Hey, I just thought, I can look up the C4 vette specs.

-Bob

On the following page I found the 84 specs for rear track width:

84 'vette specs

But you measured hub to hub as 63 inches. The "stock" 240z track width is 53 inches. The "spec" rear width of the vette is 60.4 inches. And you narrowed that 3 inches to fit your setup.

And I am really looking at the front, not the rear, but trying to get an idea of what exactly the track widths are measuring. I have a feeling it is tire center to tire center. With the big positive,(negative, whatever) offset of the corvette rims that seems to make sense.

Hmmm...

And John, I haven't lost it yet! Working on it though. I may very well end up with 100% stock setup. But what I am looking at may be fairly easy to do all things considered. And John, you should be getting the new input flange in the mail sometime next week.

-Bob

Bob,

track width is measured from the center of the tires and can only equal an "hub-to-hub" measurement if the wheels have a 0 offset. The C4 has a 10" tire, so the track was measured at the 5" mark of the tires. The C4 wheel is 8.5" wide with a 32mm offset, making the hub mount point about 1.26" from the point that the track was measured. 1.26" on both sides added to the track = about 63" hub-to-hub. Clear as mud? BTW, the tire spec on that club's site is incorrect and should be 255/50-16.

That IRS is a 240SX, I believe. Not sure if it still available, but I had access to it if I wanted it.

Not sure on the value of my input, but I'll post anyways, and you can judge for yourself.

60" total track front

66" total track rear.

I have 60" of track up front (outside of tire to outside of tire) On my lowered 78 280 under stock fenders. Tires are 225/50/16.

The rear track is 66" to the outside of each tire under custom fenders. Tires are 265/45/16.

For my car:

Outside of front tire sidewall to opposite sidewall: 64"

Outside of front tire sidewall to opposite sidewall: 64.5"

Front tires/wheels: 17x8.5" (142mm backspacing), 235/45-17

Rear tires/wheels: 17x9" (149mm backspacing), 255/45-17

(Note that a 1/2" thick brake rotor hat is on the stub axle, pushing out the mounting surface for the wheel by the difference in the 1/2" hat and the stock drum thickness at the hub.)

So based on Pete and Zr8ed's measurements...... Pete you got some great width under the fenders!

So the "theoretical" I am exploring would fit maybe with fenders, maybe....

I was looking at 58-59 inches track front and rear. Assuming a high positive offset,(lots of rim inside of car), it might make that 3-4 some odd inches on each end wider. So that means tire to tire edge is something like 64-68 inches.

With pete at 64 inches under stock fenders, I should be able to get another 2-3 some odd inches on each side, so 66-68 inches, fitting my "fantasy" arrangement. And I feel certain the rears can fit with flares.

Thanks guys.

You know, this whole project might go by the wayside if I can find my dad's original car. I am searching for the '68 convertible corvette he bought new in 68. BRG, tan leather interior, 400/427, 4 speed, air, power windows/locks, etc.. If I can find it, I would gladly put my Z project on hold to buy it back for him.

But secretly, I kinda hope I don't find it so I can try this stuff with my Z!

-Bob