HybridZ

How do I copy my modified tail panel.

SteelToad

I having fun modifying the heck out of my 280zx, and I'm really happy with how the tail has come out. I've got it set up to hold 60's style corvette tail lights and recessed license. What I'd like to do now is to make a mold of the back end just in case anybody else wants to do the same, or (heaven forbid) something ever happens to it. I assume I want to get it as smoothed out as possible, but after that, then what ? What is the process for creating a mold ?

rear640.jpg

This is gonne sound stupid but heres how i did it...

Mask the entire outside with plastic wrap, get tubb of petroleum jelly, rub it down, get a few cans off tough stuff foam, spray all over the masked area, let it dry, dry coat the ♥♥♥♥ out of the foam (after removing it from the masked surface) with primer, get a can of plasticoat spray paint, spray paint it, next time you need a mock up slather it down with PJ and then fiberglass it and walla you got a "jig" if you will...

Doesn't masking the area in plastic wrap introduce wrinkles into the mold that you're making. How long would a mold like that last both in length of time and number of uses ? I'm not critiquing your suggestion at all, I've just never quite understood the steps for doing something like this.

Steeltoad,

The car is coming along real nice. I've been doing a lot of reading on how to make molds and this is how I understand it. For making the mold you have to finished the part and paint it. Buff it nice and smooth and add a lot of wax on it and then start your mold making by spraying a few layers of gel coats right over your part and then add fiberglass on top of the gel coat. Wait until it harden then pop the mold off. GL

Doesn't masking the area in plastic wrap introduce wrinkles into the mold that you're making. How long would a mold like that last both in length of time and number of uses ? I'm not critiquing your suggestion at all, I've just never quite understood the steps for doing something like this.

You dont use the mold but once you use the actual piece you make afterwards, its just easier than getting inside the car.

and yes the wrinkles would be there but when using a mold especialy a fiberglass mold you allways want to smooth it out afterwards...

Im sure there are other ways im just going over one ive used..

Steeltoad,

The car is coming along real nice. I've been doing a lot of reading on how to make molds and this is how I understand it. For making the mold you have to finished the part and paint it. Buff it nice and smooth and add a lot of wax on it and then start your mold making by spraying a few layers of gel coats right over your part and then add fiberglass on top of the gel coat. Wait until it harden then pop the mold off. GL

This is the real way to do it but then again i dont own a body shop i own a fabrication shop... =)

This is the real way to do it but then again i dont own a body shop i own a fabrication shop... =)

Still beats my idea of lining the wall with florists foam and slowly backing into it :).

No, not my Camaro, some nice stuff in the shop though.

[showing my full ignorance here]

So the gelcoat acts as a release agent stopping the fiberglass from sticking to the car, and when the fiberglass hardens then I have a mold. .. When I want to make another rear, I would gelcoat the mold and apply fiberglass to create the duplicate ?

What is the consistency of gelcoat, it would seem to me that if it were thick enough to stop the fiberglass from sticking then it would alter the mold, or is it one of those weird chemical things I should have paid attention to in school ?

Still beats my idea of lining the wall with florists foam and slowly backing into it :).

No, not my Camaro, some nice stuff in the shop though.

[showing my full ignorance here]

So the gelcoat acts as a release agent stopping the fiberglass from sticking to the car, and when the fiberglass hardens then I have a mold. .. When I want to make another rear, I would gelcoat the mold and apply fiberglass to create the duplicate ?

What is the consistency of gelcoat, it would seem to me that if it were thick enough to stop the fiberglass from sticking then it would alter the mold, or is it one of those weird chemical things I should have paid attention to in school ?

No the high wax content makes the gel coat not stick, this in turn lets you throw a few layers of glass down on top of that in turn having a perfect replica of what your replicating (+ or - .001 of an inch)

think of a brand bew fiberglass boat, the shinny nice smooth side that sits in the water is the gel coated side the rest inside is just your basic run of the mill layered high strength fiberglass...

The flares are metal (black dragon) and welded to the quarters, if you look real close you can see the little welds holding it in place. The bumper and rocker panels are the MSA kit and a hard, but still flexible, plastic. They're bonded with marglass. :) ... and I cant wait to fill those flares out