HybridZ

New to site but not but not to racing and associated fabrication

Guest jays64II

Guest jays64II

Hey all ! I'm a drag racer from the east coast here. Myself and best friend have a nice lil' race shop side business where we do all types of fab work from small stuff to full tube chassis race cars. I myself have been Sportman Drag racing since 1992 and have been involved in Fastest Street Car Shootout type classes and organizations since 1995. My current race car I've owned since 95' and it's a 64' Chevy Nova Nostalgia Super Stocker. I have built this car from the ground up starting with a totally stock driver to a car that currently runs 9.60's at 142 mph with an all motor 383 sbc chevy with 23 degree heads and a powerglide trans. i also race the car in an 8.50 index class with a 175 shot of nitrous , but the car has been as fast as 8.20's on a 250 shot all at 3000 lbs. race weight.

Anyway...why I am here:

I somehow got sucked into alotta Z stuff over the years. My brother in law had several , my sister had 2 , my brother had 2 and I was always the one turning the wrenches. I'm no rookie to engine swaps as I have done some RX7 sbc swaps and built FWD to RWD conversions for many fellow racers. I now find myself owning a 72' 240z that I have totally hacked apart. It is currently nothing but a shell , no floor , most of the firewall , no front chassis or rear chassis , BUT does have two 2x3 frame rails front to back and set up to run a 4-link rear and drag race strut front end. I also find myself looking for a streeter. I figure...hell....I can build a stock chassis/susp. car to go 10's on pump gas on motor pretty easy. The motor would be very mild compared to alotta the stuff i build. I see alotta guys using JTR stuff..which looks o.k. , but I myself was going to use a front plate and mid plate design to mount the motor like in most of my drag cars and run a powerglide trans so the shock to the rear is much less. (I've been putting 900 horse through an 8.5" 10 bolt rear since 1998 and gone 8.20's in my Nova so i guess I know how to build a good rear. Most guys would say a 9" is the only way to go but I seem to always prove them wrong...lol) i also build all my motors , trans , rears , body paint , chassis , susp. etc etc.... I know most of what I say you guys might find crazy but around here 8" race converters , spooled rears , 4.56 gears , 14-1 comp. , race gas , .700 lift cams is all street car kinda stuff around here , but I was just gonna build a nice lil' pump gass 500 horse 355 with the power glide for this other Z i'm looking to buy and build...i'm crazy.....right ? How many toys does a guy need ? lol ! So...I ask...have any of you tried different motor mounting types and trans and such with your conversions ? I'm sure I can build an R200 rear to live with a power glide and a motor that makes smoother power through the mid and upper range than low end torque and still get the lil' sucker to go 10's on pump gas on motor at around 2800 lbs with driver. Is anyone running 10's with all stock chassis and susp. components ? I built an 89' RX7 for a friend with all stock chassis and susp. with a lil' 355 and a powerglide and ran a best of 9.44 at 146 with nitrous and on a 26X8.5 slick but I have no idea what that car weighed. He has since sold it. Any stories you all wanna share or swap please do so. After a hard days work bench racing is how i relax...lol ! You site looks very well put together and I hope to contribute much knowledge !

Welcome. How far South in Jersey are you? This site ranges from the po'-boy jackstand street racer, to weekend cruisers, to the road course and drag professional. You will find everything in between. If you can think of it, someone here has already done something similar or at least thought about it. Take a look at members, jnjdragracing, zgad, and 1 quick z. They stand out among the, admittedly, fastest Z's on the board. Not to say there aren't others as fast or less creative.

There is a meet coming up at just over the NY NJ border soon and I believe the NJZCC is having some events coming up as well. Scope around the site and use the search features. There is A TON of history on the site.

-Dave

Guest jays64II

i'm pretty far south. i'm 30 mins. east of philly and 50 mins west of atlantic city and 30 mins. south of Atco Raceway....my home track. I've raced all over the eastern seaboard and as far west as the Mississippi River and all parts between. Many tracks to race at that are close to me and tons of street action. Thanks for the response !

Guest jays64II

what would you like pics of ? i don't have any of the tube chassis 240z cause my camera took a ♥♥♥♥ , but have plenty of pics of other stuff I've been involved in.

Welcome. How far South in Jersey are you? This site ranges from the po'-boy jackstand street racer, to weekend cruisers, to the road course and drag professional. You will find everything in between. If you can think of it, someone here has already done something similar or at least thought about it. Take a look at members, jnjdragracing, zgad, and 1 quick z. They stand out among the, admittedly, fastest Z's on the board. Not to say there aren't others as fast or less creative.

There is a meet coming up at just over the NY NJ border soon and I believe the NJZCC is having some events coming up as well. Scope around the site and use the search features. There is A TON of history on the site.

-Dave

Sounds like you'll be a great addition to this form. There is soo much info in that search button up top that almost everybody could told to "search frist" on every question! I think you will be one of those great resouces in that search button with maby a few stickys. Welcome!

Guest jays64II

well.....i'll throw ya some pic of some of my stuff and stuff we have done at our shop.

my nova:1073981501044272537S600x600Q85.jpg

1100061471044272537S600x600Q85.jpg

100044171SmckwZ_th.jpg

cartoon pic: of my nova a friend made:2754595370044272537S600x600Q85.jpg

my best friends Dodge Challenger....this is what we started with:

2754595370044272537S600x600Q85.jpg

what alotta hard hours look like a few months later:

1125374097049815617S600x600Q85.jpg