HybridZ

Power windows getting tired

Pilgrim

Car: 1983 280ZX Turbo.

For some time, the passenger side window has gone down nicely but sometimes requires dozens of attempts to raise it - repeated applications of the switch on either driver or passenger door have little effect until one "catches".

All of a sudden last weekend, the driver's side window is sometimes slow to come up, although it usually kicks into regular speed part-way up. All I need is to have it get stuck in the down position!!! :shock:

Anyone BTDT with these problems? I'm thinking it's something about the motors - perhaps grounding. I do have a spare set of driver's side window switched from Ebay. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

Have you taken the door panel off and adjusted and oiled the moving (pivot points and slider track) parts yet? A few years back I did this with my manual windows and was amazed at how much it improved the ease of use. You may have some unnecessary resistance in the mechanicals from 25 years of use....just a thought.

That would probably help on the driver's side...and it's a good reminder. On Audis, that kind of lubrication is a required item every couple of years. I hadn't thought about it on the ZX.

On the passenger side there's clearly a problem with getting power to the motor. Whether this is in the switches, a loose connection or broken wire at the motor, poor ground at the motor, or internal failure of the motor isn't clear to me yet.

Just hot wire the motor straight to the battery. If it goes up and down normaly then you can start trying to trouble shoot the wiring issue and or switch issue. Also check for grounding issues. Battery cables in good condition clean not corroded. Where the ground strap bolts to the frame and then down to the starter is bad area for corrosion. Check the ground cables for the window motors themselves - everyone forgets that the ground is the second wire you need to run anything electrical on an auto.