HybridZ

RB30/26 vs 2JZ

Z24O

at a bit of a crossroads

can't decide whether to modify my RB30 with a GTR head and single turbo

or put in a 2JZ NA-T with a single

i recently bought a supra with a 2JZ NA....boy are they a torquey motor,and that's without a turbo!!!

let me know your thoughts

cheers

paul

BTW going auto

lol that's basically what it comes down to.

remember though, 2JZ's were sold here. RB's of any kind were not.

However, prices don't differ much, and the good parts for supras are probably japanese made anyway.

The RB26 is torquey too, so with 15% more displacement and a longer stroke, you can bet the RB30 would be torquey aswell.

It's really down to what you want.

Transmissions seem to be more expensive for supras than rb's, since the RB25 transmission is somewhat more abundant or accessible in terms of pricing flexability.

EDIT: OH wait, you're in AUS.... welllllllll then. the RB30 might actually even be cheaper to build up, considering they come in VL's and are not really the most sport cars to be ripping an engine out of. That is in comparison to a 2JZGTE block, and not a 2JZGE block, as I'm sure there are slight differences that get supra fanboys panties in a bunch.

i don't know enough about rb30's to say, but honestly man it all comes down to your horsepower goal.

if there was an rb26 on my left and a 2j n/a on my right i'd take the 26, if there was an rb26 vs a 2jz-gte i'd take the 2j. i'm a die hard nissan guy, but 2jz-gte is just a stronger motor. i'd love to make 600 horse without even having to take my head off.

basically man it all comes down to what you wanna do. all motors can make great power and be fun as hell to drive, but what matters is your opinion.

my opinion. 2j bottom end can handle more power than rb, and 2j head flows great as well my opinion 2j>rb. Also unlike my first 25, at least if your timing belt breaks with a 2j your valves aren't kissing pistons. you're just dealing with the front crank seal blowing out on hi boost heh, some do it constantly, some don't do it at all. just my 2 cents

RB30 wins the uniqueness factor, and you still kept it nissan.

Guest Crispy Chicken

i recently bought a supra with a 2JZ NA....boy are they a torquey motor,and that's without a turbo!!!

let me know your thoughts

cheers

paul

BTW going auto

If you really think 180 lb-ft of torque from an NA 2jz is torquey? Wait until you put a turbo on it!!!! I spent a lot of time researching and reading. Watching and talking to people about their set ups. Trying to figure out the same thing. After awhile I learned the 2j is better every single way period. I wouldn't say there is a HUGE difference and depending on your set up you might not notice much of a difference at all.. For me I wanted HUGE power and the 2j is definitely at an advantage. Parts are way easier to come by which is a perk. If you really want to keep it nissan as for some people this is important go with a rb. Still a good choice. For me I can care less about matching manufacturers.. I'm all about performance!!!

Derek

thanks guys

my 240Z already has the RB30SOHC in it,so the twin cam head would be a walk in the park,however was wondering if it was worth the headache to switch over to the 2JZ-NA/T...as i have all the gear to turbo one already(including microtech ecu,550cc sard in jectors etc)

thanks guys

my 240Z already has the RB30SOHC in it,so the twin cam head would be a walk in the park,however was wondering if it was worth the headache to switch over to the 2JZ-NA/T...as i have all the gear to turbo one already(including microtech ecu,550cc sard in jectors etc)

you can always buy a harness adapter for the microtech an probably even use the 550cc sard injectors on a new fuel rail with the RB25 head (unless you go RB26, which will cost slightly more). and you could use the turbo, too...

since you already have the sohc block, you could just get an RB25 (cheap as hell), and use a lot of the parts in it.