HybridZ

My 280z!!

I just got it tonight and I couldn't be happier ^^ The area on the driver side front, we used some of this car care stuff, it's a clear liquid....i can't remember the name, but as you can see, the car needs a bath.

iit shows 66k on it, but it might be 160k. needs a tune up because of the nasty gas. there's virtually no rust, except for slight surface rust around the battery box. The title says first Registered 11/1978 for a list price of 9073 Vin number HLS30465974 Now, for pics

Big tires. the right scrubs because it needs a little adjustment (TC adjustment i belive to pull it back a tiny bit?)

DSC06833.jpg

Mmmm pretty chrome and shiny reflectors

DSC06834.jpg

yeah, the reason why it was cheap. the 240 wheel in the passenger seat is going on tomorrow. im' gonna clean up the car (all the gauges work)

DSC06835.jpg

the engine bay. hey look, no rust!

it even has the engine bay light located on the inside of the left fender (works and is bright)

DSC06836.jpg

that battery box, is the WORST of all the rust, by 1000%

DSC06837.jpg

the other side of the engine. no rust here

DSC06838.jpg

no rust here!!!! the entire body in this area is rust free, except a tiny tiny tiny bit on the edge (you can see the tiny dark spots right?)

DSC06839.jpg

this is a sideways view of the driver side door jam. pretty much, no rust.

DSC06840.jpg

under the car is FILTHY! the pipe is slightly damaged in one spot, and the tank is slightly dented (it's not the stock tank, it was replaced but was damaged on something when it was being put in?)

DSC06841.jpg

I've never seen that blue air box on anyone elses Z.......

that flow sensor isn't the original. it's been retrofitted (plastic hoses are wrong diameter)

DSC06842.jpg

it's in pretty good shape. the interior got destroyed because the front FACED the rising sun. burning the front of the car. the back isn't as bad, but is still bad (interior wise)

oh right, it cost me 900 bucks

Hey there, very cool! Looks like it will make into a great project!

I need to burn off all this nasty old gas in the tank. it's deffinetly not going to help with emissions hahaha. but first a valve adjustment is in order.

Let me first highly highly suggest that you NOT do this as it could and will clog up your injection system causing you a lot more trouble, money and time that you don't necessarily need to spend on it right now. I highly suggest that you drain whatever is left in that tank or better yet have the tank boiled to get rid of all that gunk and rust that's left in the tank. The tank in my '76 was like this and I had it done, was around $200. Any how, I thought I'd through that out before you cause more work for yourself! Take care and have fun with that car!:-)

Hey there, very cool! Looks like it will make into a great project!

Let me first highly highly suggest that you NOT do this as it could and will clog up your injection system causing you a lot more trouble, money and time that you don't necessarily need to spend on it right now. I highly suggest that you drain whatever is left in that tank or better yet have the tank boiled to get rid of all that gunk and rust that's left in the tank. The tank in my '76 was like this and I had it done, was around $200. Any how, I thought I'd through that out before you cause more work for yourself! Take care and have fun with that car!:-)

yeah, whenever the bad gas hits the injectors, it hesitates, and runs like crap (hit the gas, nearly dies, barely throttle and it's ok) the previous owner said it might be the throttle positioning sensor, and has a new one (he's bringing it today)

I did my first major work on it today! I adjusted the valves! got everything back together, and it fired right up, no problem. sounds a touch better now, but it has an exhaust leak. I'm going to buy a new manifold and gasket for it.

No major plans yet, just get it running well enough to pass emissions so i can work more. slowly i'll get it rebuilt, get a megasquirt II system, and maybe turbocharge it.

That airbox of mine. Why haven't I seen it before?

(oh, it even has the stickers for the color code and the note saying it's filled with antifreeze that will withstand -34F)

the door jam VIN plate looks BRAND NEW.

I don't think i'll have the money to boil the tank, but, would it help to drain it, and fill it with high octane and injector treatment?

That airbox of mine. Why haven't I seen it before?

Mine has the same setup, looks pretty cool in my opinion. If you restore it and paint, then they even look better!:-) I think the reason you don't see as many of them is that a lot of people are switching to cold air intakes which eliminates all of that.

I don't think i'll have the money to boil the tank, but, would it help to drain it, and fill it with high octane and injector treatment?

I would think the injector treatment would help the injectors some if their pretty clogged. I have heard of people buying motorcycle tank do-it-yourself coating kits and using them in automtive tanks, but whether or not how it works for an automotive tank, I don't know. But it may be somthing to look into as a way around the tank boiling. Hope this helps.

my intake looks brand new, with shiny paint and nearly no rust on it. (i can fix the rust with sandpaper)

How can you tell if the TPS is bad?

anyways, brian has a new tps for it, but never installed it. I think next I'll change the oil and put some sort of treatment in it to help clean out the engine. Then i'll bring it somewhere to flush the rad (after i get it emissions tested)

It sounds great. Just hearing the exhaust note brings a tear to my eye

How can you tell if the TPS is bad?

Most likely, it is out of adjustment or it got corotted with water. Any water on it will get inside and corrode the contacts. To see if it is out of adjustment, pop the cover off. When it is at idle, the center and right contacts should be touching. If not, gently bend them until they are. Have someone hold the throttle just over 1400rpm and lossen the two screws that hold the hold the tps on and rotate the tps so that the middle contacts just break away from each by a hair and then tighten the two screws and put the cover back on. Your tps should be now set.

In the case of dirty or corroted contacts, again, pop the cover off and spray the contacts out with contact cleaner and that should solve the problem.

the contacts are definitely corroded, I just wanted to know what are the symptoms of a bad TPS

here are some new pics

I've never seen a VIN plate this shiny before on an old car

DSC06849.jpg

this is the sticker for the color code

DSC06847.jpg

NO RUST, it's just dirt i couldn't get off with the wet paper towel (it's dry in the pic)

DSC06846.jpg

the 240 wheel looks better. the horn cover doesn't fit right though (i broke a wire, so i didn't put all the parts on like i should've, i will later today though)

DSC06845.jpg

(sorry about my huge signature), I'm trying to figure out how to delete it

With an improperly functioning tps, it could be sending to much or to little fuel at the wrong times or could go into "coast" mode where it cuts shuts the fuel off thinking that it's decelerating. You'd definitely notice this if you went over 3000rpm as it gives a huge "jurking" effect, I've had it happen before and it's not fun.

This link should help you out too

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm

besides it's running issues it is in great shape. I don't have contact cleaner, but the contacts are NASTY (green all over)

I also was wondering if the dizzy was nasty, and not burning the fuel like it should. Popped off the cap, and sure enough, it's pretty nasty looking (but not as bad) I'm gonna go by the store and grab new plugs and contact cleaner. (I love this car, and workin on her.)

i don't think i cleaned the contacts well enough, because it's still doing it -_-

the way it acts reminds me of how my bug would act if you flooded it.

I wonder if the dizzy is acting up. of course, i should clean it more, then i should probably try it again. if anything, on monday brian's bringing me a new tps

wait, that just makes me think. What if the flow sensor was bad o_O that would cause the engine to flood out wouldn't it?