HybridZ

L28ET questions

CamH

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to swap an L28ET in to my 240Z (hurrah!). After a bit of searching, I finally found myself a complete L28ET for a decent price, sans wiring harness and ECU (Getting them from fellow hybridz member ktm, thanks!). The problem with the engine, I'm told, is that the head gasket is blown.

For now, I plan on running stock boost on stock ECU. However, I want to be able to handle more boost in the future. Maybe somewhere around 18PSI.

I've been reading threads for the last few hours and the general consensus here seems to be that the OEM L28ET head gasket will be best for me. I'm having trouble finding anything other than Felpro and Ishino head gaskets. If someone could link me to where I can order an OEM gasket I would be grateful! edit: I just read http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125745 and it sounds like the MSA ones are also recommended. After a quick google search, I haven't seen any come up. Has anyone got a link to a site that sells them?

I've also looked in to metal head gaskets, but from what I have read is that a metal head gasket can lead to destroying pistons when knocking rather than blowing out the head gasket, and non-metal head gaskets will act as a 'fuse' and blow out under a knock. I'd like to avoid future engine rebuilds (for a while at least :D), and from this information, the metal head gasket seems somewhat detrimental to my cause. Is this information correct?

Also I've heard that ARP headstuds (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ARP%2D202%2D4206&autoview=sku) will help the head gasket hold together a bit better under higher amounts of boost, and I think it would be a good investment for me to put this in while I have the head off. Am I on track here?

One last question: I am still running a stock 240Z fuel tank and it needs to be replaced to support my motor swap. I've not looked around much as far as this goes, but from my understanding the 280Z fuel tank is a decent swap, but does not fit well and can still lead to fuel starvation. What would the best solution for a fuel system be on my swap? Keep in mind that I am not a fabricator and it would be very difficult for me to fab up anything to fit properly so the most easily 'bolted in' solution would be the best for me.

Thanks for any advice!

Cam

OEM gasket can be had from the dealership. Tune your engine correctly and you don't need to intentionally use a weak headgasket. Metal is great, but lots of guys have success with the Nissan gasket or Stone gaskets. Cheapo Chinese gaskets should probably be avoided, and Fel-Pro gaskets are a source of much argument on the site (I'm personally not a fan).

As to the head stud kits, the benefit of that one is also debatable. If you've got money to burn you might want to go ahead, although I'd sooner put ARP rod bolts on my engine than head studs.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep searching. Search the FAQs, search the stickies. These questions aren't always answerable with a yes or no, so you'll have to do some interpretation of the answers you get from the threads you read.

• 2 weeks later...