HybridZ

my car wont start????

Guest TIM_1979_280ZX

Guest TIM_1979_280ZX

i got a 1979 280zx and it wont start.. it was siting for 2 years.. when i got i have had it for about 3 mons now and have been trying to get it to start... it has a new starter/spark plugs/ spark wires/fuel pump it get gas and its gets spark. but it wont start i need help plz

thank you tim

• Administrators

Check to make sure the injectors are pulsing. They will make an audible clicking noise as the engine is cranking. Easiest way to verify this is to use a mechanics stethoscope, or a long screw driver. Touch the end of the screw driver on an injector, place your ear on the handle of the screw driver, (the screw driver is your makeshift stethoscope if you don’t own the real thing), and have someone else try starting the car. You should hear the injectors “click.. click.. click…” as the engine is cranking. Do this with all the injectors. If none of them are clicking, diagnose why, i.e. power to the injectors, power to the ECU, etc.

If they are clicking, then they are capable of delivering fuel, but if there is no fuel pressure, there will be no fuel flow into the engine, so verify that you indeed have fuel pressure.

Good luck.

• Administrators
could it be the timeing to??????? be cuz ever time i try to start it some times it try to start but just wont..

First things first.

Keep this in mind. Typically threads such as this one, get locked and tossed in the tool shed as this forum is not geared towards maintenance issues or restoration of Z cars, (those questions are best asked on http://www.zcar.com and http://www.classiczcars.com). This is HybridZ, a forum dedicated to extreme performance Z cars and the sharing of ideas, concepts, and experiences along those lines. On occasion we will field a “My wipers don’t work, why?” or a “My car wont start, why?” question. When we do, we expect those people to have already exhausted all their current resources first, i.e. purchase a shop manual like a Haynes Manual, read through it, make an effort to check the basics, etc, and prior to posting their question here, search the archives in case that issue has already been addressed, THEN we will help as best we can from there.

Ok, now with that out of the way, lets get back to your issue.

One thing at time…

You have spark, you say it will sputter a bit, and all the other components of what an engine needs to run “seem” to be in check based no your posts thus far, except that we have no absolute verification that fuel “is” or “can be” introduced to the engine. Verify that FIRST, then we’ll move on from there. We want to help out but if you are guessing at things like, "could it being timing?", that tells us that you have some more bases to cover on your own first.

Just go out and check for clicking injectors and for adequate fuel pressure as listed above, then report back.

you pushing your gas pedal in and out while its cranking? people say this does not change anything but in fact it does... anyways faulty cold start valves/thermo time switch cause this in almost all 280z/zx's that ive seen that have been sitting for a while. even when the ambient temperature isn't "cold" at all. ive hooked a 9volt battery to mine so that it still uses stock system, but if needed i can give it more fuel. (which ive had to a couple times even in warm weather). also the AFM might need to be adjusted, but if it has that black sealant stuff all over it and you cant just pull it off, then its probobly never been fooled with before and i wouldnt touch it. Test the impedance of your injectors as well. Just use a voltmeter, resistance should be 3-4ohms (cant remember for sure). timing would do this too but it shouldnt be a problem unless some mentally challenged (or possibly drunk) person replaced your distributor the wrong way.