HybridZ

Remove pkg tray/toolbox behind seats?

NCchris

Found a new (to me) rust hole adjacent to passenger side rear wheelwell:

DSC005961.JPG

From the inside:

DSC00597.JPG

The easiest way to properly fix it is to remove the tool box area, cut out the cancer and weld in new metal. How important strength-wise is this boxed area? If I remove it, it prob won't be worth re-installation after my spot weld removal techniques. I could do without the tray and the enclosed area it provides. Should I leave it out? I am building a street car and improvements include Zed floors, Bad Dog framerails and subframe connectors, and possibly an 8 point roll bar, u weld it type.

TIA for your answers.

chris

I have rust there on the passenger's side.

I sandblasted the area inside and underneath. I cut out the worst little areas with side cutters(no more than 2 sq."). I welded small pieces inside and out(inside as much as I could reach). The only area that has to be done on the inside is right where the frame rail passes under the box(towards the outside from car center in the compartment).

It looks like the worst of your problem is OUTSIDE the framel rail. Stitch a piece all the way across it anyway.

If your cage is done right and connects to the strut towers and makes everything rigid in back, then I think you can ditch the box. However, I think that triangular box is a major structural area for the stock car and I wouldn't cut it out without something else back there for supporting the strut towers.

Hey NCchris:

This is just my humble opinion... but I would most definitly NOT cut out that toolbox area. That is an important structural part of the unibody. Now if you were to add subframe connectors, a roll cage and other stuff to reinforce the chassis, it would be less important, but unless I had a compelling reason to do so (like something else NEEDED to go there) I would leave it in. The best 'tub' cars use both the stock unistructure and the added cage members to build the most rigid platform.

O/T but are you the guy that bought those hosed lower front control arms from me?