HybridZ

Fusible Link Help. Sorry guys.

Gollum

Ok, I'm SO close to getting my car started, and I seared here all last night and couldn't find and direct answers, so I need to start my own help thread. I really hate having to do this so much.

So I've blown two fusible links now and I'm not sure why yet. I thought maybe I wired the links wrong, but I can't seem to find an error. And one of the things that make me curious is that in the FSM it shows a red and a white wire together and I'm not sure if they mean physically or not. If so then I might have mixed the white and the white w/black wire.

fusiblelinksxh4.th.jpg

fusiblelinksbottomjl2.th.jpg

And here you can see the one that's blown. It's going to the W/b wire in the previous pic.

fusiblelinkstopuw2.th.jpg

Another thing I find odd is that the first link I blew the dash lights came on just fine then when off when I turned the ignition off. This time no lights came on, and the link still blew after I went to the in between click before starting it, right when the fuel pump should be turning on.

I guess it should be that circuit, but I can't find anything wrong with it, and just don't know where to go from here.

You ain't by any chance got the wires the wrong way round at the back of the alternator? mine has two posts sticking out the back, very close to one another and the same size, unfortunately for the previous owner of my car ones live the other was an earth :lol:, I had to renew that loom section back to the fuse box, but removed the links at the same time, and as I used new wire unfortunately I’m not best placed to answer your colour code problems.

Well if I took pics would that help ya?

When I went to wire up the starter and alternator I wasn't 100% sure on the wiring, so I made a trip to the junkyard and took pics and based my wiring on that. So I 'thought' it was wired correctly, but maybe not.

Ok, one more clue

I was wrong about WHEN it happens. It's when the ignition gets to ON, one last click before start. NOT the in between when the fuel pump turns on.

And I unhooked the other fusible links and the one that blew stopped smoking. Plugged in the Black wire that leads to white, and then it smoked again when I turned on the ignition, so the prioblem probably lies in that direction.

So the solid white wire goes to the fuse block, alternator, ignition relay, and the accessories relay.

So I'll hunt down more info on alternator wiring...

Oh snaps! Sorry warren. Sometimes things like that just slip my mind. I've got a million other threads in which it's mentioned but that doesn't means I don't need to include it here.

Car is a 81' 280ZX 2 seater NA

Engine, tranny, wirining for the ENTIRE car is from a 83' 280ZX Turbo 2+2

Ok, so can someone tell me what the strange round thing is that's connected to the alternator? It has a black wire lead on it, and a ring connector on the end of the lead. Well that was on the BAT terminal with the white wire, so I moved that.

So I've got a black cable on E, a plug that I can't screw up for the sensing, and a white cable on the BAT post. I'm 90% sure that's correct.

When I went to see if I could still get the fusible link to smoke, to avoid wasting my last one, it wasn't smoking. But my dash still wasn't lighting up at all. Oh well I though, and plugged in the last fusible link.

Turn ignition, POP!!! There goes my last one. I think I can use another wire from the other connectors, just a pita to get the spades out of the connector.

There's also a white wire that splices off of the white cable running the that BAT terminal on the alternator, anyone know what that's for?

• 3 months later...

Ok, so the car DID turn over, hasn't started yet.

What was the mystery causing me to blow fusible links?

DUN dun DUUUNNNNN!!!!!

I had the distributor ground connected to one of the condesor leads. I'd pulled the AC out and somehow just hooked it up to that connector since it was a bullet connector and there wasn't any other bullet connectors near by.

So right now the distributor is just grounding to a random point (gonna replace the hole wire eventually and connect it to a bolt), and the condensor wires are just hanging there now.

Some of the wires were loose in the link box so I've got dash lights again (they weren't working before), but the car doesn't want to turn over.

I'd had the battery from my CRX in the car and it had turned over a few times and then just stopped and I'd get the repetitive clicks as though the battery was dead (i think). Put it back in the CRX, started that car just fine.

So I hooked the leads up to a battery charger/engine starter, and it still won't turn over, just clicks.

Is it possible I somehow fried my starter? I checked all my fuses and they all check out fine. The links looked fine, but I havn't multimetered them yet, that'll be the one thing I still do today before wrapping up.

Overall I'm happy still. I had 2 free days off work for new years and I actually got something done dispite the cold weather. Yay.