HybridZ

ITB's vs. Intake manifold in an N/A application

olie05

Nice info, I especially like where you said tunning of the intake track could be used to fix dips in the torque curve. So I went back and broke out my book my Mr. Heywood, which was funny cause my Certificate from EFI university was folded up in there and I was looking for it a while ago, anyway I started going through my marks in the helmholtz theory in the intake track section. then it hit me:shock: Wouldnt be awesome if we could get pneumatic valves, no cams. Then bump the compression of the motor up to around 17:1. And finally let the valves control the dynamic compression of the motor, and essentially the airflow and HP, of the motor by opening and closing at the appropriate time. Imagine the miles per gallon at cruise with compression that high at light load, then it could back it down when at power to ease pinking. All this with out being stuck in the cams range, varied or not, and no throttle restriction either. What do you guys think?

DEVAS system rears it's head in the wishful thinking of people on the forum once again!

What do you mean DEVAS system?

EFI University, that outfit from Temecula?

Nah, it looked intersting so i took a couple class from them in Atlanta.

Going to be moving to the LA part of Cali in January however and was thinking of getting a part time job a shop. You wouldnt happen to know anyone looking for help would you?:)

The place in Temecula does classes nationwide. Yeah, I just checked their website, it's the place in Temecula.

http://www.efi101.com/press/02-01-07.html

They opened a new facility with three dyno bays down there early last year. Big local 'come in and take classes campaign. They were doing classes locally , worldwide, etc (still do). They are about 20 minutes from the house. Right around the corner from where ZCCIV meets.

Garrett Engine Boosting Systems is usually looking for people down at the R&D Facility in Lomita. But there are plenty of dealerships and etc looking for good people. It er...uh.... 'helps if you speak Spanish' if you are looking for any kind of shop management position.

Search DEVAS there are plenty of references here. Independent hydraulic actuation of valvetrain through electrohydraulic controllers with variable lift, duration, ramp opening and closing speed...the ability to run the engine like a diesel, with no throttle plate at all, engine speed is controlled through alteration of valve lift, timing, and fuel injected.

Search DEVAS there are plenty of references here. Independent hydraulic actuation of valvetrain through electrohydraulic controllers with variable lift, duration, ramp opening and closing speed...the ability to run the engine like a diesel, with no throttle plate at all, engine speed is controlled through alteration of valve lift, timing, and fuel injected.

So I guess my idea is already happening, nutz. guess thats how it usually is. Had the same thing happen about 4 or 5 years ago with auto tunning with o2 sensors through the ems. I had never seen it before then I was at a solo 1 event and told my idea to a guy who was making his own ecus to sell to a company in cali. about 7 months later someone told me about a new feature on ecus that will autotune your maps with a wideband. :icon45: Also went through a phase while i was in Korea about using the freon from the a/c system to cool an intercooler. Told my idea to a guy that worked at MMI while I was at one of the classes for EFI and next thing i know i'm searching around one day and a guy from atlanta mind you is starting to patent an intercooler that works off freon. Ha, not saying these people stole my ideas or anything just wish I was researching this stuff sooner in my life so I could have thought about it sooner. Guess it couldnt have been much sooner though since I was 20 when the wideband thing happened. So goes life i guess, or i could just be a Stanley Meyer and keep all my ideas to myself, only to end up dead with everyone at a loss.

Accurate Injection- Yeah I havent been out there in a while. I used to be out there in a blacked out turboed MRS, but being sent off with the military all the time kinda got me out of it. I just finished up my 6 yrs. so now im free. Kinda the reason i'm moving to LA, dothan is kinda stagnant. You gonna be out there the next time in Oct?

As a cool side note with your companies name, i used to work for Barry at a place called Accurate Engineering. Was putting together high performance Harley motors at the time. AHHHHH the good ole days:)

The place in Temecula does classes nationwide. Yeah, I just checked their website, it's the place in Temecula.

http://www.efi101.com/press/02-01-07.html

They opened a new facility with three dyno bays down there early last year. Big local 'come in and take classes campaign. They were doing classes locally , worldwide, etc (still do). They are about 20 minutes from the house. Right around the corner from where ZCCIV meets.

Garrett Engine Boosting Systems is usually looking for people down at the R&D Facility in Lomita. But there are plenty of dealerships and etc looking for good people. It er...uh.... 'helps if you speak Spanish' if you are looking for any kind of shop management position.

Thats cool, thought you meant where did i take the class. And thanks for the heads up at Garrett, but i was looking for a something a little closer to santa monica in the LA region.

Accurate Injection- Yeah I havent been out there in a while. I used to be out there in a blacked out turboed MRS, but being sent off with the military all the time kinda got me out of it. I just finished up my 6 yrs. so now im free. Kinda the reason i'm moving to LA, dothan is kinda stagnant. You gonna be out there the next time in Oct?

As a cool side note with your companies name, i used to work for Barry at a place called Accurate Engineering. Was putting together high performance Harley motors at the time. AHHHHH the good ole days:)

Hey Blackwidow:

You came out to a Solo 1 event we did in Opp AL. with that MR spyder turbo and took me for a ride when you first built it! Not sure if you remember that or not!

The name Accurate Injection came about as Barry and I was working on a Aftermarket EFi system for Harleys, long before S&S and Daytona Twin Tech were building their systems, lack of funding will kill your idea every time, so I feel your pain on missed opportunity! See below!

Single body billet, Twin 42mm throttle plates, true independent runner throttle body, that stopped the charge robbing problem on harleys, built 9 or 10 yrs ago now! IT FOR A SHOVEL HEAD! :) Shovel Head EFi, what a concept! :) It just sits in my Throphy Case now! A testiment to lost opportunities! :) Carl Marrow of Carl's Speed Shop in Daytona laughed me out of his shop in front of 50+ people at Bike week when I was doing research on Harley's, so Keep on keeping on! You are moving to the right area for your knowledge base, and I have quite a few contacts there as well! Send me your Resume to me at the Extrudabody email I will help you if I can!

Kevin

ShovelHeadThrottleBodyDesign.jpg

Holy crap, what a small world. I do remember that ride. That was when I was messing with the Greddy E-manage/ Profec and wideband which gave me the idea for the autotune. You were the one hanging out with me and Tinkler under the tent right? That is so cool. By the way a Efi Shovel head would be the awesomest. Its too bad most of the bikers are stuck in the old days with carbs, I had talked to Barry about turboing one of the older motors. At the time he had found an old school '32 motor that was his project. Would have been sweet to see some kind of EFI on that.

Also Reminds me of a time i was looking to purchase this drag car a guy claimed had around 650hp at the wheels. I asked had you taken the car to a dyno, he laughed and said " Nah man, that there is for those import guys with there little four bangers" I said oh ok, thanks anyway. He probably wouldnt had said that but I happen to be doing some work on my dad's Vette and pulled up in that instead of my MRS.

I would appreciate any help I could get out that way, especially if I could get into some kind of performance work at a shop while continuing with my M.E. degree. Do you have a shop? I would love to take a trip some day and visit to see what you have going on.

Actually, the freon intercoole was done as an industrial arts / automotive enrineering project back in the 70's. That is old news.

Now, about that Magnetic Cooling (oh, wait, that was the 1920's)

There are very few things that are new. We all like to think we invented something, but fact of the matter is someone out there probably thought of it some time in the past, and did it.

Wether they got paid for it or not...that's something altogether different! LOL

Actually, the freon intercoole was done as an industrial arts / automotive enrineering project back in the 70's. That is old news.

Now, about that Magnetic Cooling (oh, wait, that was the 1920's)

There are very few things that are new. We all like to think we invented something, but fact of the matter is someone out there probably thought of it some time in the past, and did it.

Wether they got paid for it or not...that's something altogether different! LOL

I am aware that many things comming into production now that were thought of many.....many years ago:) but couldnt mass produce these ideas cause of various things mostly cost vs. usefulness, or the metalurgy wasnt good enough, ect..... Thats why i put in the I wish i was studying this sooner, granted it still wouldnt be 90 years ago:(. And personally if i could get someones idea from the past and perfect it to make a million. It would possibly help console me in the future.:mrgreen:

Oh, if you have a B.S.M.E. what are you interested in? Rotating Equipment??? There are opportunities all over Los Angeles for BSME contract, long term, permanent hire, or freelance.

Santa Monica would normally have been "Aerospace Related" but that's changed. Still work out there, but not like there was 'in the day'...

There's always waiting tables on the pier... LOL

Oh, if you have a B.S.M.E. what are you interested in? Rotating Equipment??? There are opportunities all over Los Angeles for BSME contract, long term, permanent hire, or freelance.

Santa Monica would normally have been "Aerospace Related" but that's changed. Still work out there, but not like there was 'in the day'...

There's always waiting tables on the pier... LOL

No:( no B.S.M.E yet. I havent been able to finish it, because I was always being sent off in the middle of the semester with the military. It wouldnt hurt my average, but i couldnt complete any courses. And I cant do online courses, i'm just not the kind of person that can do them. So i just decided to wait till I was out to get back to it, it kept killing me to do 1/2 a semester of work only to get no credit. And that happened three times:evil: And personally I really don't want a job doing anything with the degree, I just want it for my own personal uses. Plus i kind of have a gig already set up out there but its kind of like a when i want to work kind of thing. Thats why I said part time job at a shop. Don't really need a lot of money just would like to work in a real performance shop, as we have none of that in my neck of the woods.

DEVAS is just one guy's marketing attempt at camless engine control. I think it is far more appropriate to refer to this type of control as "camless engine control" or something similar, rather than by the name of a single example. (also, the DEVAS page hasn't been updated since 2003.)

This thread was once about different types of intake systems. I think Kevin put it quite well that the advantage to using any type of intake tuning lies in the ability to flatten a torque curve, especially for road racing.

Let's get this thread back on track.