HybridZ

brake booster poo poo

man my MC and brake booster are shot. the seal between the MC and brake booster is leaking bubbles. i pulled the mc off the booster and there was fluid all over the place. tommorow i am replacing the both of them with ones from an 83. will the 83 brake booster work in the 79's place?

I think there are about 10 different boosters out there, some of which interchange, some of which do not. You're lucky in that you'll be replacing both the booster and the master cylinder, so you really only have to match the booster to the holes in the firewall - you can then buy whatever year MC fits the booster you choose.

Looking at the VB catalog, it appears that the 79-81 and the 82-83 boosters have different patterns on the studs that pass through the firewall. You could drill new holes to fit, but *I* wouldn't do that.

One thing to keep in mind is the little adjustable rod that comes out of the booster and pushes into the master cylinder. Don't locktite everything together until you're happy with the brake feel. I had to adjust mine a few times to make the pedal feel right.

Bottom line? Buy the booster from someone who has no problem with returns, then test fit everything before you torque 'em down.

Let me offer a little correction here. The 1979-81 (early 280ZX) booster has the same firewall bolt pattern as the '82-83 (late 280ZX) booster. (In fact the '74-'83 boosters all have the same firewall mounting pattern). It is the master cylinder mounting that is different. The '79-81 booster uses the "vertical mount" master cylinder that Nissan used on all the 1970-81 Z cars (and other Nissans), and the 1982-83 booster uses the "horizontal mount" master cylinder that Nissan adopted on all it's vehicles.

If you change both the booster with it's corresponding master cylinder, then you can swap the entire assemblies between the early and late 280ZX's.

David,

You got your 79 done already? Man it must be nice too have your Z up and running so quickly!

I saw your (10/24)"yes, the unthinkable happened....again" post about blowing #7 motor, sorry to see that happen.

I wish I had mine back in and running :(

I miss my ZX cry2.gif

Donna

ACK!

ok long story short, i took her for a spin and the brakes locked up after a few stops. it was stiff as heck, but when i pulled the pedal up with my foot as far as it would go, the brakes didnt lock up anymore. does the brake booster have an adjustment nut or something on it? i think i have the brake booster rod that connects to the pedal a tad too tight.

Originally posted by David Karey:

does the brake booster have an adjustment nut or something on it?

Yep. The rod that goes from the brake booster to the master cylinder is adjustable. Pull off the MC, grab hold of the piston rod and gently pull it out JUST enough to get a grip on the inside shaft, underneath the hex head adjuster. I think in 8mm wrench adjusts the tip in or out. Sounds like yours needs to be adjusted in (clockwise).

Or I could be a maroon baboon...