HybridZ

would it be possible to freeze a cell remotely

datman

I was thinking about this the other day whilst trying to tune my car, would it be possible to wire a switch into MS which would cause the green cell in the VE table to freeze, this way when I get a flat spot, knock or bad air fuel I could stop and see which cell was causing it. Obviously this would require some code to be written.

You can just use a stopwatch and a datalog from MS. Start the car and the stopwatch together. Datalog your drive. When you feel a problem, stop the timer. Go back through the datalog with MegaLogViewer and scroll to the time on the stop watch to see when and what happened.

Although I like Matt's idea best, another approach is to drive with the tuning window open (TuningVE Table 1). At the moment you want to make an adjustment, press the "F" key which locate the cursor on the cell closest to the current settings being used. You can use a combination of "shift" and "up arrow" or "down arrow" to adjust the VE value on the fly. I find it a quick and dirty way to make near-real time adjustments while driving. But be careful not to take your eyes off the road. With laptop on the passenger seat, I can feel the keys without looking. I'd suggest practicing before going out on the road with other cars.

Or better yet, you can press the space bar while logging - this puts a mark in the data log. You can then go over the log and check which cell you were in at that point.

I need to spend some time with the MLV manual! Lots of tidbits I learn everytime Matt comes around!

Although I like Matt's idea best, another approach is to drive with the tuning window open (TuningVE Table 1). At the moment you want to make an adjustment, press the "F" key which locate the cursor on the cell closest to the current settings being used. You can use a combination of "shift" and "up arrow" or "down arrow" to adjust the VE value on the fly. I find it a quick and dirty way to make near-real time adjustments while driving. But be careful not to take your eyes off the road. With laptop on the passenger seat, I can feel the keys without looking. I'd suggest practicing before going out on the road with other cars.

I am planning on doing something similar, but with a Nostromo keypad strapped either to my knee or the console lid. It is an USB device that plugs in like a mouse or keyboard, and the 10 keys have 3 shift states, for a total of 40 or so total assigned keystrokes available to you, or a similar number of macros. (pre-recorded combinations of keystrokes, allowing a sequence of keys or commands to be enabled from a single keystroke) It also has a scroll-wheel, 8-way D-pad, and is form-fitted to your palm... very easy to train your hand to use. Those shift+arrow key combos could be a single keystroke, or even bound to up and down on the scroll-wheel or D-pad. As soon as I started looking into the Megasquirt manual in detail I thought it might be ideal for tuning on the go.

Here is the basic setup, though it is an older version.

nostromo.jpg

you guys should try this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/powermate.htm

you can set it so that a tap = spacebar = cell lock or unlock

left turn = down command = decrease cell value

right turn = up command = increase call value

that way you can drive and adjust with one hand =)

It can be had for 35 bucks online. It also allows you to program any option to any command (except for some windows-specific ones like alt+f4). It works on Mac and PC. Has a glowing ring that actually gains or loses intensity based on input value and turn-direction.

Someone give it a try and see what's up =)

What does hitting the spacebar do?

Can't you just read the load and rpm values for the offending point in the datalog and look that field up? Is there no way to datalog the knock sensor?

You can if you wire up and tune the stock sensor or if you buy a "knocksense" module. MS has the input lines for that but it doesn't have the circuit built in. But the module and sensor is like $90, and with that you can tune MS to retard timing if it hears knock.

Mario