HybridZ

Lost injector driver or coil

rags

Well I took the car to work today after coming back from the convention to test a new CV axle I installed yesterday. All was fine until I stopped for gas. When I started the car back up I'm either missing 2 or 3 cylinders! My guess is a coil went out or one of the injector drivers went out. I'll go out in the parking lot in a few to figure out if it's ignition or fuel. Anyone else have something like this happen? Joe with a hurtin Tec2

How long has it been since you have removed the coils from the base and cleaned up the prongs where they seat down on the base?

Also, might want to remove the two green (or black or orange, if after market) wire connectors from their holders and clean the green crust that forms on them.

I've had issues with both of those areas in the past. They both get heavy scale and corrosion on them over time... I used a tiny dental tool and some emery paper to clean them.

A little update. I just went out to the car and found 2 and 5 are not lighting off. Funny thing is I do have spark at the coil and swapping the injector connections around shows the injector drivers are fine. So I'm down to fouled plugs, bad injectors or compression. Compression is a long shot since it ran fine on the way into the gas station. Further troubleshooting is going to have to wait until I find a plug wrench which is damn near impossible working for a Bank! Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

Glad to hear you made it back from the convention OK. I'd say fouled plugs. What plug, and what gap are you running?

I still haven't figured out the race car problem. It did fry one of the components in the Megasquirt which I replaced, but still no go. Thought I had it figure out last night. Something is messing up the trigger signal now.

Hi Pete,

Yep, made it home ok. It was 2 fouled plugs. I'm using NGK BR8ES plugs with a 32 gap. I think I just have the TOG set a little to large. I set it this way because I'm a little paranoid :). I'll be out tuning again this weekend. The car is running surprising well!

I'm really interested in what you find with the MS. I knew it had to have fried something when we were trying to jump it.

Joe