HybridZ

Need advice on order of operations

LLave

I took my car to have it acid dipped but the guy wont take it with any underbody coating or seam sealer on it. Which he will remove for $85 an hour... no thanks. So I took my car back home, put it on my rotisserie and started stripping off the under coating. But now in looking at it and thinking maybe I should do my fab work before I have the car dipped.

So here is the question. Do I do the fab work (stitch welding, cage, shave lights, ect) then dip the car after to take care of surface rust and what not, or do I dip the car fist, prime it and then grind off the primer where needed? Or how would I keep the car from rusting after stripping while I work on it. Any advice is appreciated.

This was the reason why I didn't work on my frame first. Put your motor in and do all your fab and modding. After that remove everything and then put it on the Rotisserie and work on the frame. Stripping the under coat, repair floor, frame rails etc. and more welding underneath.. and then dip, prime paint the frame. When you get the frame back you can start putting all new parts back on. Well this is the plan for my car anyway. I am in the same stage as you probably. I don't know when I am completely done with all the fab works so I can start working on the frame restoration. GL

Let's hope someone else went thru with this to share some experience and or mistakes.

Acid dipping is a controlled process where material is etched away from the metal structure to reduce overall weight. Metal is actually eaten away. You don't want your roll cage tubing thinned by acid dipping.

I would get the car media blasted before any fab work and skip the acid dipping.

• 2 weeks later...
Acid dipping is a controlled process where material is etched away from the metal structure to reduce overall weight. Metal is actually eaten away. You don't want your roll cage tubing thinned by acid dipping.

I would get the car media blasted before any fab work and skip the acid dipping.

I see. Does anyone know a good blaster in norther california?

I look at the restore as a tear town than build up. Strip it down.. as you have. Than restore. I do not like doing anything twice. I would dip or blast it. Have it primmered than go to work on the body. You will bang and scratch the primmer over and over. That’s fine. After all the bodywork is done, the interior is in and the motor is in and running than you will fine tune the remaining body repairs and paint it. Than install glass, trim, emblems..

You will want to paint the motor cavity early. I chose to paint mine the same color as the car. I wish I had chosen black. It would be so hard to change it if I decide to change the car color in the future.