HybridZ

My Mechanic said that my tranny blew a main bearing???

N3RB

I don't know trannys but that doesnt sound good. He also said that it leaks every where. I am 18, and I have money to fix it but, should i "they" fix it. Or should they rebuild it, if they do rebuild what should i put in it with the motor i got.... I need help. What do you guys think?

i have worked on a few 280z/zx trans and have a box full of gears and parts for non-turbo trans.the only time i had a trans problem was when i had a leak at the speedo drive-countershaft bearings went .i had noise in all gears except 4th.everybody has a different trans preference.i run the 280zx non turbo 82/83 trans -it has close ratio spread and the best 5th for freeway.when i first used my z at sears point for a track day i discovered the big gap between 2nd & 3rd in old 77 5 speed.with a 3.2 na motor i would guess a 82/83 zx trans with a 3.9 r200 out a zx would work well-quick with a good 5th for freeway.if you dont want to fix old trans you can take your chances at pick&pull.i run a 3.0l turbo engine with 3.7 rear-i like the way the na trans shifts with redline oil but it wouldnt be my pick for drag racing-my car is used for open track days on road race courses.

You might check with some of the local Japanese engine exchanges, for what most shops would charge for a "rebuild" you could have a KA transmission put in your z it would require your bellhousing to be modified to do so.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98875&highlight=KA+trans+swap

http://www.ermish-racing.com/510/510parts.html

Troy was doing the machining to make the bellhousings fit, you might want to give Him a call.

Vacaville is in between sac. and sanfran. in california. I dont know the symptoms. I just want to know what the best things are to put in my trans for a good durable daily driver, while the tranny is cracked open. Thanks guys. So you think i should dump this and get a zx tranny?? Or rebuild??

Vacaville is in between sac. and sanfran. in california. I dont know the symptoms. I just want to know what the best things are to put in my trans for a good durable daily driver, while the tranny is cracked open. Thanks guys. So you think i should dump this and get a zx tranny?? Or rebuild??

It will be less costly finding a complete tranny at a pic-a-part yard. When I found mine (83 ZX 5spd), it was only $125.00.

Tom

You do take your chances with a salvage yard transmission. They usually have a 30 day return policy if it is bad, but it's still a PIA to return it and pull another trany (if they have one). A couple of things you can check before pulling a used trany is the drain plug which has a magnet built in. If the magnet has pieces of bearings or gear teeth stuck to it, walk away. Once the trany is out of the car, turn the input shaft by hand in each of gears and be sure it is nice and smooth. I just pulled an 83 ZX 5-speed two weeks ago at an Omaha U-Pull yard. Only cost $60 there :-P. I later found it had a weak 3rd gear syncro so I pulled it apart and swapped it with parts from another 5-speed I had laying around. Working good now.