HybridZ

One floor down one to go.... pics inside

Hey all i just finished my first floor ever on my Z and i wanted your opinions. if the links dont work, cut and paste the urls. Id like any and all constructive criticism. IE: if i did something wrong dont be afraid to say so... BTW the floors look alot worse then they are because i started stripping the anti rust goop so that i can paint them - pete

http://www.geocities.com/peej410/mvc-015s.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/peej410/mvc-017s.jpg

Looks good to me! That's the beauty of welding in floors, as opposed to welding body panels or something like that. When you're done, you'll slap some undercoating on one side, and carpet the other. Nobody will ever see your mistakes! smile.gif

Guest jdllaugh

Thanks for posting the pics. They are inspiring. Right now I just have a big hole where my driver's side floor used to be.

I know I can do this project, but it's really nice to see someone that's been there, done that!!! hail.gifrockon.gif

nice work ;) I`m lucky enough to have solid pans in my Z, but my chevelle is another story cuss.gif

I`ve spent all week welding quarters,wheelhouses,floorpans, and frame and body mounts.

:mad:

I hope to set the body down on the frame in the morning, rolleyesg.gif finally.

wish me luck :(

Thank you all for the kind words, sorry about the links, geocities doesnt really like being linked to. Yes i did make the floors myself, i also made my own makeshift sheet metal brake using two 4 foot pieces of angle iron and three large c clamps. one welded on each end (the wont stay if they arent welded) and one positoned in the middle. The inherent downfall to the design is that the center clamp limits the distance from the edge of the sheet to the bend. anyways thanks again guys 1 down 1 to go good luck denny with the chevelle post pics if you can when that puppy is done

-pete

Guest Anonymous

Nice work! this is in my near future as well. What gauge metal did you use?

Twydog

(Passenger side had a 10"x2" hole under the rubber insulation...orshould I call that stuff a 30-year old sponge?)

PJ, looks good but how thick are those? Looks like you didnt have much trouble shaping them. Man I used 1MM thick Zinc material and was a royal pain inthe A$$. At least they will never rust again. If you want to see mine up close check out my site for reference...good job!!

Corzette

• 5 months later...

i dont quite understand what your asking?, the bottom of the floors are higher and i used a smaller tube then most do but compensated with a slightly thicker steel, if this is superior or inferior ive yet to find out, i tried keeping everything as simple as possible without making compromises in strength. being a fabrication novice its hard to draw the line, but if you have any questions and/or would like some pictures shoot me an email at peej410@aol.com -pete

Guest 240hybrid

Looks pretty good, are you running a continuous bead of weld on both sides? I did my pans about a month ago and man did it seem to stiffen the car up just a bite, being made out of heavier gauge than stock. Hope your other one goes as good if not better. I figured that someone could fabricate your own floor pans without a problem.

Looks pretty good, are you running a continuous bead of weld on both sides? I did my pans about a month ago and man did it seem to stiffen the car up just a bite, being made out of heavier gauge than stock. Hope your other one goes as good if not better. I figured that someone could fabricate your own floor pans without a problem.

i ran full beads but i alternated spots to keep from warping the sheetmetal now im building an A -frame to hold the front of the car about 5 feet in the air so as to simplify painting the undercarriage and what not