HybridZ

Opinions on Turbo Option

Z U L8R

Basically I'm going for a little more gusto. Of course i'd love 600+ but i think i'll be content for a while with 500-560rwhp. I think that's about all my current fuel system will allow. I don't wanna go 35r. I'll be selling my turbo pretty soon. It's a GT30/71r dual ball bearing cartridge, .63 a/r exhaust /w t3 flange, .60 a/r compressor housing. been on the car since march, no problems with it at all other than the most i've made on it is 441rwhp/381rwtq@22psi, on 93 octane it's pretty consistent 420rwhp/360rwtq@20psi with with a low 12 a/f ratio. I had him put more fuel up top this last tune with the 4.11 rear end, 5hp less with more fuel is worth the trade off. all in all it's a pretty perfect match for the rb25's, full boost at 3900rpm, at 3700rpm with stock head/cams it makes 350rwtq all the way to 6k.

A friend is letting me borrow his holset hx35? i wanna say it is, i think it's .82 exhaust a/r and .71 or .72 a/r compressor. not sure if this turbo's a good choice or not. i don't know it's capabilities, and i don't wanna lag too too bad. he said he's seen em on his friend's 2.0 4g63 (dsm eclipse gsx) and full boost was around 4-4100rpm. he said it should be 650rwhp capable turbo. i don't know anything about holsets, you guys think this is worth $650? before i pull off my turbo, fabricate a flange (dsm to t3 adapter) , buy the dump plate, redo my downpipe, then plumb the bastard. is this too much turbo? anyone else know about holsets?

thanks

Dave =]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holset hx35s are used a lot by beemer guys. I would try a forum like that or a General forum for that turbo because its not as popular as garrett, greddy, or turbonetics...where people have most of their experience. The different in laggyness IMO cant be that much different if you just stayed GT series....A guy on another forum has a gt35 on his STI that is built and with a T4 twin scroll manifold he spools that sucker up pretty quick.... Heres the link..

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2e31752a-0d55-4466-be6f-99950126cda7.htm

Granted he has a cams that probably do a lot for the turbo's spool but there are some options for RBs that could probably be used to lower spool times.

Also here is a link from another site that I go on often

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30241&highlight=hx35

That has pics of the holset and some expereince. Looks like a monster turbo....

Good luck man!

(PS how much you sellin that gt30 for? :)

why not go with a 3082r, it has the same exhaust side that you are currently running and the gt35r compressor side. You could get the same exact boost response if you choose the .63 turbine side housing. But you would still be able to flow enough air for 600hp.

link... http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-032&Category_Code=BCS

Holsets are nice though, go to the scrapyard find a cummins diesel and take it. They can be found for under $400, but I have heard that you will need to port the wastegate area a LOT to not get boost spike and creep. There are a lot of z31 guys running holsets and they seem to like them. Personally if you already have an externally gated turbo stay with it. Most if not all holsets are internally gated.

Not True. The gt3082r is a big mismatch. It spools about like the gt35r, but doesn't make the power. You'd think that going to small turbine wheel would give you the best of both worlds. The small turbine wheel can't generate the axial forces necessary to efficiently move the larger compressor wheel.

why not go with a 3082r, it has the same exhaust side that you are currently running and the gt35r compressor side. You could get the same exact boost response if you choose the .63 turbine side housing. But you would still be able to flow enough air for 600hp.

well. don't think i'll be going with the holset. #1 the exhaust housing has a dsm flange, so unnecessary fabricating would need to be done. #2 it's a heavy ass wheel to spin. #3 it's a boost happy turbo, as in the turbo likes to be 25-40psi. Which would be great for a dsm or an srt4 since they love a crap load of boost, but not really a nissan motor that i'm not comfortable pushing passed 20psi on pump gas.

all in all i've decided close to 600rwhp is my goal. i doubt my puny rb20 tranny, l28 driveshaft, and r200 are gonna be able to take the abuse if i ever take off my street tires, but we'll see how long it lasts lol. now that i have my goal. i'm thinking a 62-1 with a t3 exhaust flange if i can find one with a t3 flange. if not then I'll hack away at my uber expensive XS Power manifold of excellence and put a t4 flange or t3 & t4 combo flange on it, then i can try out turbos with either a t3 or t4 flange. *shrug

honestly i don't think the rest of my car could even handle 600rwhp, and my motor's basically still stock, with just pistons, studs, and HG so i'm not sure what it can handle either...

I was thinking of doing cams or nitrous but bottom line is my motor can make more power than it is and the turbo is the weakest link at this point. I don't think i will ever be content.....>_<

i think a 60-1 will improve me a little but not be enough in the long run. i'd rock it for a while, then end up going bigger again, and the 62-1 is prolly a tad on the laggy side, a 61-1 would be ideal.....if that exists???

someone who knows their turbos.....what would you recommend for fastest spooling 600rwhp turbo?

Honestly if you are trying to make the most power at 20psi (upper limit for pump gas), your not going to gain a huge amount of power swaping to a larger turbo. A larger turbo will make more power at higher boost, but won't make much more then you are currently making at 20psi. A larger turbo will gain power from less backpressure, but it will compress the air around the same efficiency that your currently doing.

Justin

bigger turbo'll make same power at less boost, therefore more power at same boost. like a small turbo will spin it's ass off for 22psi but how much air is it actually moving? whereas a bigger turbo @ 14psi is forcing just as much air into the motor as the little turbo was,but at a lower boost. i'm definately not the turbo expert (which is why i'm asking y'alls advice) but that makes sense to me. cfm is more crucial than psi in regards to what's going to benefit my motor. but too much psi and my motor go BOOM LOL

i know i could swap my .63 exhaust a/r to a bigger one like an .84 or something but i'd probably only get 20-30 more hp....and i know me, and i won't be happy with that. i kinda hear what you're saying @ justin, but my problem at hand isn't that my head's not flowing enough, or my cam's not letting the head flow enough, or what not. at this point my turbo can only do what it can do and it won't do much more. headwork and cams and all that are fine and dandy, but that's for later, when my power goal is restricted by their capabilities. any votes for the fastest spooling turbo capable of 600 rwhp?

ok....been searching and the full-race 60-1 says it's a 580rwhp capable turbo...i've heard the turbonetics gtk turbo's ain't all that, but i was looking at the gtk600.

unless there's a better performing option from another company (indirect way of asking one of you), i'm leaning towards the full-race 60-1 or the 62-1 with i think it's a .64 exhaust a/r.......

being that i'm still on stock head/cam, i think i'll be limited to 500-550ish....so i may opt for the 60-1 with maybe the .84 a/r. i think on a stock 2j those make 470rwhp@15ish psi?? might have been 17psi but anywho. i heard about the ihi turbo's back in the sr20det days, that like a t28 sized ihi could do hi 300's. i dunno, right now i'm fishing. if i spend over a G on another turbo i want it to be all that and a bag of chips lol

thx for the info thus far, keep it comin

Dave =]

aiight, now i'm leaning towards a gt30/76....it's still a t3 flange, it's a 310-525hp capable turbo. in comparison to mine which is a 300-460hp capable turbo. i think if i put it on and run 18-20 lb of boost it should put me around 480-490rwhp....which'll leave me pissed cause i didn't break the magical 500 number but happy cause it's not much more laggy....

i think the next step would be a 35r =[ but i think all the 30/76 will push will be right under 500rwhp and then it'll be maxed out too =[

the search continues....

J SOLEAU WHAT TURBO YOU RUNNING???

oh, absolutely. i agree with you@ streeteg

but from my position. my tuner's got a couple turbo's we can try, and he'd work something out with me for my 30/71. so that means i don't come out of pocket any/much and my hp goes up :D . the other side of the coin is that i haven't reached the limit of my cams yet, but i have reached the limit of my turbo. so i think it'd be best to start with upping the turbo, see how far that takes me, if then the turbo puts me at my cam's limits, THEN it's time for me to do cams =], or if the Winner turbo is too lazy, then i'll do the cams then too.

so right now it's more an issue of priority and out of pocket expense.

if my tuner's frankenstein turbo's don't do what we're looking for i'll probably go with the gt30/76 as that's the last step before the dreaded 35r lol, THEN get cams for the extra hp and powerband benefits. i put more ideas in my getting owned in mexico thread if you check that out too.

does anyone know ANYONE with a 35r on an rb25?

note to self: trying out turbo's is a lot more complicated than trying out shoes, but a lot less complicated than trying out women ROFL

i'd really like to see jtaylor's all motor dyno graph with mods at the time ie cams or stock cams etc etc. to get an idea of when it'd kick in etc etc etc

i called precision and they said they can do gt30/76r's with a 60mm inducer for about 1400 bucks, 3 days to make, 3 days to ship, at my door in about a week. i have to sleep on it and get with my tuner about his frankstein turbo's he's wanting to try before i commit to anything. as a comparison my gt30/71r has a 53mm inducer and a gt35r has a 61mm inducer. so a 60mm inducer on a gt30/76r sounds like it'd be just a smiggin laggier than my existing turbo (which spools pretty damn fast) with barely less flow than a gt35r......sounds pretty kick ass, hope it comes with a bag of chips too cause i'm hungry lol.

Dave =]