HybridZ

suspension technique springs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just got off the phone with st and they say that the longer ones go in fron and the shorter ones go in the front. Seems correct but putting them on yeilded no results on drop.

Also there was another thread on here somewhere that said eibachs go on the other way?? Whats the deal?

franklinz

What?? you said the longer ones go up front and the shorter ones go up front. Which one is it? I have the ST springs and neither were really much longer than the other. They did have differences in the tightness of the spring coils. I put the tighter coil up front like stock. Does that sound like what you did?

The spring rates are probably different, number of coils and coil wire diameter will determine this, as well as median width of the spring (from coil to coil measured from the center of the spring 'wire').

Usually higher rate goes in front as far as I'm familiar with, but I've come across at least one setup in reverse of this.

If they are more than a few percent different, you should be able to lean on them and determine which one is a 'heavier' spring than the other.

Longer springs go in the back. The front set is shorter to fit with the shorter cartridge. In most coil over or cut tube situations, You can remove up to 2" from both the front and the back struts. You then move the front shocks to the the rear and add either the VW or MR2 shocks to the front. Good Luck. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

sorry bout that. they said that the longer ones go in the front and the shorter ones go in the back.

But i dont see any 2" drop, so im speculating that its the other way around and the rep on the phone just wanted to give a quick "seems right" answer... When we test fit the short ones, they didnt even touch the spring seats, without the weight of the car of course.

anybody know the correct placement??

franklin

Guest Anonymous

Longins in front / biggins in back (?)I usually pay little attention to minumum wage sales clerks that offer mechanical advice. (and I quit paying attention to about 3/4 of the professionals when it comes to taking my dollar ) I owe my acquired mechanical abilities to poverty and my early experience in paying people for services where they knew a little more than me when I was totally ignorant. my rant...for today

I have the suspension techniques springs in my 78 Z. The front springs were tagged out of the box so it was hard to mix them up on the install. Both front and rear were signficantly shorter than stock and the rears are way to soft. The rearend often bottoms out crossing bridges at normal highway speeds. I am using Tokio Illumina adjustable struts on all 4 corners and need to keep the rears set on setting 4 or 5 to keep my fillings. IMO these springs did not lower the car or stiffen the ride as advertised. :( I plan on changing them out first chance I get

Guest Anonymous

yeah i plan on going doing some business with ross soon as i get some loot for my rear end. But as far as the springs go i think they suck anyhow, im going to get me some eibachs.

franklin