HybridZ

Should I get this Car Shell-- need to kno asap

zfever

I am looking for a shell thats pretty much ready for sandblasting or a shell thats been sand blasted... been searching for one for a while... dont care where it comes from im ready to pay for shipping... (so let me know if you have one or know of one!!!!)

I did come across this however .... it comes with all the panels (derusted) as well as brand new set of doors (plus the old ones as well) + beautiful uncracked dash with new gauges... the plastics inside... etc etc. The only thing really missing is the seats and the carpetting.

The guy has the original engine and rebuilt it + 4 sped transmission. He has replaced the floorpans. The problem I feel is that he said the last owner replaced the frame rails.. (he said they may be baddog rails when I asked)... but I feel "what if this wasnt done rite?". The car is about 4 hours away from me so its hard for me to go see it in person--so my cousin near there took the following pictures based on certain directions I gave him (looks like he didnt follow them):

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/2pac_4lyf/

He's askin 1500$ for the whole project deal... What you guys think... Need to kno fast since one of my friends said he can help me bring it home in his trailer before he leaves to Florida day after tomorrow.

Thanks!

On the link there are a couple pics of the rails in the engine bay... my cousin said they seem strong but have surface rust on them (same for floors).

Any comments about the body though? I jus found out that the rear quarters have bondo on them ... Was planning to sandblast the car and start afresh. But working the metal will be costly..

So really my q boils down to--- is 1600$ US good for this deal? Or should I keep looking for another clean(er) shell? How much are shells typically worth... and those parts that he is supplying are they worth the $ and the trip.

To me going through a similar project with a jeep, I wouldn't touch it, even if it was way cheaper. If your willing to spend the money on a rust free car and pay for shipping, find a car in Cali or Arizona. You will be much farther ahead.

I was in the same boat, found an original owner AZ car for $5000 w/no rust all original. I was ready to fly out and drive it back, but found a local car in FL for $3750 w/ no rust.

I noticed the side skirt additions too...

Rust free cars are hard to come by in Ottawa... shipping from FL is about 2500 and from Cali or Arizona its almost double that. I hope to find something soon (before winter hits here) so that I can sand blast and prime before the first snowfall. If any cars are even close to rust free around here I'd be happy to ship them to myslf.

I'd consider buying the dash off him and forgetting about the rest of the car. That looks like it will have chronic rust issues and $1500 is a lot to take on that kind of risk.

- Greg -

times two!

Look at pix p1010029, that car has also been hit hard in the fight front fender area.

chris

Alright guys I will ask him about the dash. How much should I offer him for it?

Thanks a lot for your help... I guess I will pass on this shell until I find one that is perfect for me. Sighhh oh when will she come ??? :( I have a bunch of mod parts (Flares, air dam, tokico springs etc etc) waiting to be put onto a shell and painted... now i just need to find an actual car!!! LOL