HybridZ

master vac/ brake booster swap

I've got a late 74 260 that I converted to a turbo....well my brake booster just developed a leak and I am having very little luck finding one locally for a 74. Does anyone know if a 78 280 will interchange with my 74? I am a ware that a zx booster will not work but can't find any specific posts that talk about swapping one for a z. Thanks, Chuck

Provided your Z is a two-seater, you can use either a 1975-78 280Z one or the larger 1979-81 280ZX brake booster. You can even use the later (1982-3) ZX booster provided you also swap out your master cylinder. The ZX boosters have to be installed upside down in your 260Z, but the will still function:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112593

I believe the bolt pattern will allow the swap, IF the diameter does not interfer with the clutch master cylinder. That was where my problem came in. I believe (it's been a LONG time) the 280 will fit, but it will be within a 1/4" of the clutch master cylinder.

Thanks for the link. When I looked at all of the auto part stores online nothing was listed for a 74 but if you look up a 78 and start cross referencing it shows the part number that I have seen posted here before. Cardone 535104 which is an 8 1/2 " booster. The price is currently 91.88 plus core and a much better option for me than MSA. Thanks

Terry, I noticed a 10" and an 8 1/2" are both available relatively cheap so I just measured mine and ordered the smaller of the two. I figured that the check valve had gone bad and boost had killed my booster but it seems fine.

This newer motor pulls much better vac so maybe that was the cause. Thanks

• 5 months later...