HybridZ

ARA a/c

xchevyimpala69x

I need some help..Im in the process of repairing the factory (?) installed ARA a/c system in my 73 240z, and everything is going smoothly, but i decided to get a new DRYER, and i went to www.rockauto.com and ordered a 73 datsun a/c dryer.........well its not the same, my dryer doesn't have o ring fittings or anything fancy, its a r12 unit with strait tips, so its just a hose that clamps on with one of those screw hose clamps. The one i bought is shorter, and has ends for like brass fittings, and the diameter doesn't come close to the one i originally had in there.

11111111111fdfdfdfd.jpg

i know im good at paint, anyways the one i received has a thread on both ends, and doesnt even come close to fitting.........so what should i do? Where can i find a A/c dryver for my a/c system, or should i just cut off the old tips off my old dryer and weld them/ modify them to the one i bought, or should i just use my old dryer? i know this was a long read, thank you

by the way heres my car

Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Your old dryer probably needs replacement - like 15 yeas ago, so it's probably best not to use it. The ARA system was an aftermarket add-n, not a factory piece as far as I know. I put one on my '71Z in '72. The ARA dealer at that time was the local Chevie dealership in Topeka, KS.

Are you still running the original compressor? Mine was a big honkin' York that I've removed in anticipation of installing all new components with a smaller rotary compressor.

• 9 months later...

Part # 4102 at AutoZone... $13.99! :rockon:

rda4102003.jpg

I just happened to find this on their website when looking for a drier for my 93 Bronco. Coincidentally, I've never seen a drier like that on a 90's Ford but it is identical to the one in my 74 260z with the exception that it doesn't have a sight glass. You can't beat that price and the label on it says it works for r12 or r134a. :P It is special order and they will have a little trouble looking it up but it's in there. You can also order it online (use 93 Bronco w/5.8L w/ dealer AC). Free shipping if you make $75 and if you're like me it's no problem spending $75 at a parts store :mrgreen:

I would be more concerned about the overweight york compressor. They never worked that well on the Z's and leaked an awful lot. With the price of R12, you might just be throwing money in the wind. I woild look for a good Sankyo (sp) or other rotory compressor or switch or better yet switch to an R134 compressor. You can get one that will bolt onto a stock 280Z A/C bracket.

Thanks for the reply's guys! Its good to know all that info. I had a hard time getting this system in. What I did is I ordered a dryer from a 60's muscle car, I think it was from a dodge, for around 40 bucks. Then I went to the J/Y and got a dryer from a old Datsun wagon I found, and I cut the tips off. I welded the tips on the new dryer and it worked perfectly. I got it to work (the whole system) with r134 gas and oil, and everything was fine except the lower radiator hose would get in the way of the compressor belt!!!!!! I had to buy a flex-hose (stainless steel) to go around this, it was a pain in the ass, and I'm still not to happy about that since its sandwitched between the compressor and something else. Then another problem... one of the a/c hoses popped (it already had stress cracks) so now I'm looking for new a/c hoses...:icon50: I think it was about a month of work, and I enjoyed a working a/c system for about 4 days haha...

260zShooter, lets say I get one of the newer style compressors, would I have to make custom brackets made? or can I use the ARA brackers..? I really don't know, thanks!

Another option for compressor is to use one from a 280zx. Get one from a JY along with the bracket. It mounts on the driver side in place of the air pump (if you still have it). Make sure to get the belt tension adjuster too.

I'm running that on my 73 with the dealer installed system and it works reasonably well. I'm pretty sure the limiting factor of the system is no longer the compressor.

The ARA conversion originally used a flex-hose on the lower radiator outlet, for the exact same reason you mentioned...

The accumulator dryer is pretty much a universal fittment R12/R134 anyway, it's simply silica gel or activated alumina in there to soak up any residual moisture when comissioning the system. After that is done, it simply acts as a buldge in the line giving a place for liquid to settle and accumulate before offgassing into the compressor. Compressors don't like refrigerant in liquid form being ingested.

For what it's worth, my rebuilt York compressor says it's for 134 or 12. I already bought it ($80 rebuilt on ebay) so I'll try it and if it doesn't work then it can go on my Bronco and run air tools :-D

Then again, a turbo 280zx did just show up in my yard and I bet it has a compressor on it :coollook:

I just got my '71 back from the shop yesterday after having a new AC system installed to replace the ARA installed in '72. The new compressor fits nicely on the driver's side and is actually quite compact compared to the previous York that hogged the right front of the engine and blocked easy access to the mechanical fuel pump.

A nice clean improvement to the engine compartment. When I picked the car up at the shop yesterday it was 112 degrees outside. The interior was just starting to get cool by the time I got it home. Probably not the best day to do a test run :o)

Dennis