HybridZ

Modern Motorsports Rear Disc Brake Caliper Line Issue

Well I got to Richmond for Ztoberfest yesterday. After pulling into the parking lot, Todd came over and adjusted my SU's. I started to beotch about my line being chewed up and thought maybe he nicked it with the welder when he fabed the e-brake brackets. So we look under and sure enough it's all over the place, brake fluid is everywhere dripping like a leaky sink.

The car show was great now it was time to leave. I tried to finagle a lift use with my free oil change coupon but service was closed. We left and I picked up a bottle of brake fluid and I babied it all the way home (2.5 hours) engine braking when I can and double pumping the pedal when needed. I was hoping for no sudden brake stops and tried to leave myself plenty of room but I had to stop short once and I also had to yank the e-brake lever. WHEWWW. After stopping 3-4 times to top off the reservoir I finally made it home.

So I get home jack her up and look. The brake tab bracket was bent up, it looks like it kinked the top of the hard line above fitting. The side of my Goodridge/Modern Motorsport 240SX stainless braided brake line sleeve was rubbed and looks to have been melted. Pissed I grab my simple green and start spraying my Watanabe to get the brake fluid off. Then I hose down the under carriage too.

This was late last night. I am going to go home today after work and look at it again but I think this is the problem. When I grabbed my cores from the junkyard I DID NOT grab the e-brake bracket. So my Z is at Todd's we figure this out at the end of the weekend, I go back to Maryland, he orders the brackets, they come in and are WRONG! I needed '89-'94 S13 what came in was '95-'98 S14 brackets. He modifies the wrong bracket and I think (by looking at the pictures today) and comparing them to the pictures once it was first installed last month. The travel of the suspension and the angle of the modified brackets is causing the bracket to rub on the line. I will verify tonight in the meantime enjoy the pictures: http://www.putfile.com/240ztt/images/154669

Before from mid September

24420404428.jpg

Last Night

2932114479.jpg

When I installed them on my 73 I saw that there might be contact between the brackets if the suspension was fully compressed. So I cut the tab that mounts the hard line to the SS line off, bent the hard line around in a circle so it would finish up more to the center of the wheel, and mounted it up there. I think I used an L bracket from the drums I had just removed. I also put some fuel line hose over the SS line where it might rub against the strut. 1 year later all is still good.

If you need pictures, I could probably pull the wheel off and take some tonight.

Thanks Spotfitz, that's just like mine. My SS lines must be a little longer because they lightly touch the strut when the car is on the road....

No prob. My SS lines where originally for the drum brakes, which is why they may be shorter. I took a bolt, cut the head off and tapered the ends to the right pitch after drilling a hole down the center to adapt these lines to the calipers. I used the original bracket that bolted to the stub axle housing for the hard lines to replace the frame bracket after they got fubar'ed. Full suspension travel with no rubs with the SS lines. My ebrake bracket does come in contact where the bracket use to be, if I hit a speed bump to hard.

at least its just the flex line and not the hard line i had to drive my car home once with no rear brakes and let me tell you im glad that e brake worked

No I think it broke above the hardline fitting where it threads into the braided line.

i had to just mount the braided on the little clamp that held the hard line in place on the frame...and the connect the braided to a short 20" hard line i had to install...it doesn't have one of the tabs and clips to hold the connection in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Ross sent me another set of lines for the 240SX calipers. I used the right side but on the left side I had a 32" braided line made. It goes from the distribution box all the way to the caliper, it cost me $25. I removed both OEM hard line tabs so they won't interfere with the braided line. I will fill it in properly when the Z is painted. On both sides I used the stock hard line clamps minus the rubber insert and ran the braided lines through them. Just some added insurance I also added a small piece of rubber hose with zip ties over top of the braided line where is comes in contact with the inner wheel arch (no pictures).

Here are all the pics: http://putfile.com/240ztt/images/157770

These are the highlights:

Looking at the picture left side is the custom one piece line I had made and right side is Modern Motorsports one piece line. The gold thing on the right is the proportioning valve. Take off the large bolt on the bottom and take the guts out and replace the bolt. This will allow more fluid to flow to the calipers verses being necked down when it had drum brakes. It is easier to take it out and put it in a vice. You need small needle nose to pop the c-clip out then take the orifice (tube) out for good.

31720083792.jpg