HybridZ

Removing Shock from Strut Tube 72Z

Guest Anonymous

The strut cartridge or the original dampening mechanisim should come out of the tube with no problem. One member posted that he could not get one strut out of the strut tube by using extreme measures.(LOL what a story) I use a big pipe wrench to remove the gland nut if the big adjustable railroad wrench does not work. A little blow torch heat will persuade the most stubborn gland nut of which there is usually one hold out of the four.

Just a big wrench? You can rent a large cresent wrench. I bought a Ford wrench from Matco tools. Just whatever sized wrench that will fit on the nut.

Once the nut is off, the cartridge should slide out. But if it is rusted or the strut tube slightly bent, then you are in for a days work.

Hopefully everything will just pop out smile.gif

Once you get the gland nut off the strut tube is there anything else holding the shock in the tube?

Also, does anyone know if any parts stores sell the gland packing nut removeal tool. It is availble from Kentmoore Tools, but I would like to find one closer to home if possible.

Thanks

Miles

• 3 months later...

bonk.gif

Hey guys!

I am not sure if anybody else has ever noticed this but, after you remove the gland nut the shock can be a pain in the @$$ to get out, unless you take a pair of needle nose pliers and run around the outside of the shock itself. There is a rubber gasket on 280's not sure about the others, and if you get this off the shock will just slide out. You have to use the pliers to pinch the gasket out of place then pull it out. I will be happy to post picks, or send them if anybody is interested. Just thought I would add my 2 cents since it didn't seem like anybody else answered miles original question.

Sector- :D