HybridZ

Vacuum pump

Chaparral2f

I've searched every keyword I can think of and haven't found what I need. So here it is. What do turbo Zs use to supply vacuum for brake boosters and heater/ air conditioner controls? Is there an electric pump that kicks in when the manifold goes from negative to positave pressure?

Check Valves, Vacuum Reservoir, and on the 83's a little "Bullfrog" Vacuum Pump for extended On-Boost Operation of things.

As long as you aren't actuating the vacuum accessories repeatedly on-boost, there really is little need for anything more than a vacuum reservoir and check valve.

You lift-throttle to closed and you refill any vacuum cannister immediately.

The check valve will be all that is needed to keep the vaccum where it needs to be.

As for the 83's pump, it operates to keep the reservoir at a predetermined vacuum level. It has nothing to do with on boost or off. If you have a big enough cam, and low enough engine vacuum at idle, it will kick on and off at idle regularly to keep the reservoir 'up to charge'.

as long as you have a check valve, everything will still work. remember, as soon as you shut the throttle to put your foot on the brake, there is vacuum in the intake manifold, even if the turbo is still producing positive pressure. thats where having a good bypass valve (BOV) comes in...if you are pushing on the brakes while on full throttle, only then will a vacuum canister make a huge difference (correct me if im wrong!)...

my two cents FWIW