HybridZ

Anyone use 1 3/4"header ?

eh, Rewarder Headers makes a blockhugger in the 1-3/4 primary, but theres much discussion on how blockhuggers flow, and that they arnt much better than a iron manifold, but ya, dig around... i hav a set and they seem to be built well, thick flanges, ceramic coated, and not overly expensive...

http://www.rewarderheaders.com/search_result.asp?CATEGORY=Block+Huggers&MANUFACTURER=ALL&DESCRIPTION=&PRODUCT_ID=

cheers

ryan

chassis is yes, no problem, but i dont know about the stock steering as i hav retrofitted mine(i hav pics even, but dont know how to post them, bah)... it would be tight cause it was tight w/ the first engine i had in ther using the 'JTR style mounts' and usings hooker 1-5/8 blockhuggers, course i didnt hav the luxury of having the factory mounts still on the steering crossmember, so my engine may not hav been in the same place as most other 'JTR" setups... i looked at sanderson, but they seemed more expensive last i cheked..

Graham, I would have thought that any engine making that kind of hp per cubic inch would need headers tuned specifically to that engine or you will lose a bunch of power. I dont think block huggers are the answer. If you find some long tubes locally that fit let me know. At the moment I have a used set of jet boat equal lenght header that will be cut up and made to fit. Going to be very tight around the steering shaft.

Douglas

Thanks Douglas ---what are you running ? I really need 1 3/4 "so i don`t `strangle`all the wonderful HP shown on the Dyno------- It seems the steering shaft is a problem left or RH drive ---may have to `u`( or universal )joint it as I think some one has already suggested on another thread ----tube type headers obviously are better but too difficult to fabricate ---thanks for your input >

Graham,

I have a Sbc with a 400 crank so 383 cubic inchs. Dyno says 515 hp at the crank all below 6500 rpm. Looking forward to getting it in the damn car and going for a drive but have been chasing my but in the vineyard all year and havent touched it. Going out now to plant some more vines, Dont even have weekends these days. Hopefully it will ease up towards x-mas and i can get the body work finished and painted. Then I can start putting it all back together again.

Douglas

Many thoughts about this...here is my experience. I'm running a Bill Mitchell 454 small block , powerglide, 9 inch ford with 4.86 gears in a 240Z. 600 hp @ 6100 rpm at the flywheel. I started out running 1 7/8 shorties, however I had to relocate steering on the drivers' and box the frame on the passenger side. I changed from 1050 dominator that came with the engine to fuel injection. I originally ran side pipes with full 3" exhaust from the header flange, 3" straight through muffler and 3" turn-downs. This is a 10.1:1 motor I run on 93 octane pump gas and drive on the street. Best run in this configuration was 6.69 @ 102.89 in the 1/8th mile. I changed to 1 3/4 long tube headers (only change) and ran a best of 7.12 @100 and change in the 1/8th. Changed back to the 1 7/8 shorties, changed mufflers to 3" Flowmaster 40's and ran a best of 6.83, changed to dynomax straight-through's and ran a best of 6.72. Go figger...for my particular combination, seems the 1 7/8 shorties work the best.

Wayne

douglas I just sold my share in Clayridge Vineyards ( Mike Just) so now have time and $`s to do what I want with the car

Rytherwr--My engine is from Gregg Hekimain In MA--Gregg is concerned with the effect the 1-5/8 header will have on the flow --reversion even ---so Looks like I will have to relocate the steering much as you had to and box the frame also ---neither of which i wanted to do --but you have answered my question ,thanks appears it has to be done to make the fit

I'd love to see a back to back set of dyno runs (engine or chassis) with

1-5/8" block huggers and 3" exhaust, 1-3/4" shorties (love to know what will fit!!!), 1-7/8" shorties (again, what fits and with what mods?), and 1-3/4" long tubes (I imagine the 32 Ford streetrod header for the SBC?).

Carb and or EFI tuning should be done to make the F/A ratios the same for each setup.

Anyone got the bucks to look into this?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a block hugger type header that has the EGR tubes and a Calif. CARB OE number that would be street leagal in CA? My donor Firebird has full length headers, dual cats and dual exhaust and recently passed smog that way, but the headers won't fit into my 280Z. Has anyone found a workable solution short of welding those tubes to another header and trying to find a lienient referee?

Thanks,

Steve

(sstallings)

Graham28...finally got a chance to see what headers I have...two different models...I have some 1 3/4 S&S long tube ceramic coated that fit a SBC/240Z combo. Lesson's learned...I almost had to take the car apart to get them on...then I got to looking when I took them off and all I did was unbolt the motor mounts from the frame, jack up the engine and take the motor mounts completely off and they pretty much fell out (with some twisting). They didn't do as well for my SBC 454 as I wanted, so they are just sitting here. As I said, I originally had a set of 1 7/8 shorties..they turn out to be Sanderson's and are very well made...part number on the S&S is 5205 and part number on the Sanderson's is CC178. They also have 1 3/4 of the same ilk part number CC134. I have angle plug heads and they allow plenty of room to get at the plugs. Hope this helps the cause.

Wayne

• 8 months later...