HybridZ

Someone verify for me that the 510 drums are steel?

Guest Anonymous

The second question: are there any finned steel brake drums that will fit a Z Datsun????????? Maybe something else will fit. (All 510' rear drums are non finned steel or cast iron)

The drums on my 240 were steel, pretty sure I pitched them though. They were indeed finned. In fact the previous 240 I had also was fitted with steel drums I believe.

Have you tried gooing to the parts store and asking for a replacement drum? I'll bet that if they have a repop it'll be steel instead of the more expensive to produce aluminum...

I'm nearly 100% sure there were never steel drums on a Z. I have combed through a all Z junkyard, with nearly all early model Z's, 100+, and thre was not a steel drum in sight, inlcuding a tractor trailer full of suspension parts from 70-78 z's. Several of mine I was sure were steel until I scraped into them. Aluminum that was tarnished a bit looked just like steel to me. The fins are the tell tale.

Ok, got it though, all 510 drums were steel, but we don't know if any other drums will fit,(and I would be willing to bet if they are steel, and are on another car, they are the same part number as the 510).

-Bob

Guest Anonymous

Bob.. I have owned a herd of 510's and all sorts of 70's Datsuns.. Only finned aluminum drums on a Z and only steel non finned drums on all the rest. but I would not rule out there was not finned drums on some datsuns or other jap imports that would fit a Z.. The hot set up years ago was to replace the steel drums on the 510 with finned aluminum ones from the Zee. Also the only source that I heard about the virtues of a 510 drum on a Z was JTR. And 510 rear brakes maybe just an opinion of Mike Knells's without much support. He also dismiss' aluminum radiators, rear disc brakes and rear sway bars.....