HybridZ

I'm done, that's it times up.

naviathan

Well, after finally getting my car to run and trying to tune it I have no more time. I don't know if maybe one of my injectors was bad or what the problem was, but I could not get the car to stop leaning out under load. And to top it all off now number 5 is filling up with coolant and leaking like a sieve. I guess it was detonating really bad on that one cylinder because it just won't stop. I pulled the cover and retorqued the head bolts, readjusted all the valves hot and it's still leaking. I guess I was never meant to get this car running again before I went to Iraq. So, I'm through with it. It'll sit and rot until i get back and hopefully drop a 350 in it. The plus side is at least I know the MS works, I think I just had too many other unknown variables that could have been bad. I'm really disappointed, but things could be worse I suppose. Well, i'll still be around the forums so I'll see you guys around.

NOTE: if anyone is interested I've attached my last maps in jpg. Maybe someone can see something I missed.

advancetable_thumb.jpg

vetable_thumb.jpg

Either your required fuel value was off, and you were either running too lean up top, or too rich down low. I mean you go from 71% to 100% fuel, from idle to high RPM load. I dont think your spark had anything to do with the head gasket letting loose. For a low compression NA motor that is not aggressive at all. I would think something mechancal related.

Well, I did one thing different with the head bolts this time around as apposed to last time. I lubed the threads when I put them back in and I think they were continuously loosening up as the engine ran. I didn't think lubing the threads would make that big a difference and with as rough as some of them were I figured it would help to get a good solid torque on them. Guess that settles it for me, no lube on the head bolts....ever. Lesson learned, next year after I return I'm looking to do a simple engine swap. Ford 351W. Still debating on the mode of fuel. Carbs are simple, but injection is fun.

You need to lube according to specs, BUT you NEED to always lube under the washer, under the head and on the threads. They did NOT loosen up from oiling them.

Then what the hell happened? I pulled the valve cover three times and retorqued the head bolts and all three times random ones were loose.

When did you last calibrate your torque wrench?

Just throwing out ideas.

Hard to believe detonation was blowing the head gaskets. Like said earlier, probably mechanical related.

Torque wrench is one a borrowed from a buddy that works at Ford. It's about a year old and it's a snap-on, I can't imagine it would be out of spec. Thought I can't honestly answer when it was last calibrated if ever. Seemed to be plenty of torque though.

I dont know anything about your build but I am gathering it is stock except for megasquirt. I have many modifications to a N/A L28 and while I was on the stock injectors my VE table had values of about 50 at idle ( 55 KPA and 1000 RPM), even after going to turbo injectors the VE table is nearly the same because of telling Megasquirt the size of the injectors. In a perfect world the injector swap wouldnt need any tuning. I think I get all the way down to values of 30 under high vaccume (~30 KPA).

I cant wait untill the semester is over so I can finish the MSII install.

Chris