HybridZ

Wheel question

Hey guys I keep finding wheels that I want and a current set of them that I think i have to have. The problem is they are a 5/120 lug spacing. I was wondering if it would be possible to convert something to obtain this lug spacing to use these rims thanks guys.

Guest Zachb55

i believe arizona z car sells a kit to convert to a 5 lug setup... itll probly cost you a good chunk of money though, but if they're wheels you just gotta have then its up to you... i would do it if i had the money :( .

Jared, it's certainly possible to conver to 5x120. I'm working with one customer doing a BB 280ZX to convert his front to some altered 5x4.75 skinny drag rims.

One method is to convert to 5x4.5 (nissan hubs up front and prepped 5lug stub axles I do out back) and then use bolt on wheel adaptors such as the ones I work with to swap you from 5x4.5 to 5x4.75. The altered bolt pattern wheel adaptors I'll do as thin as 3/4" if desired. You'll also require a compatible 5lug front brake setup, I do those as well if interested.

Any q's feel free.

Thanks for the info Ross. I think you saying do the 300zx conversion to the 5 lug discs and then with an adaptor id be able to bolt on these rims. Also I noticed that the rims im looking at have a +45 mm offset. Would that be a problem. What kind of cost am I looking at min/max to do this conversion. Thanks for your help.

Hello again Ross I think im more lost now that ive re read your post a couple of times. Can you give me some parts options that I can use to do this swap. Im not looking for 13 in brembo brakes or anything just 4 wheel discs would be nice. Sorry im not as quick to understand this as I should be. thanks again for all your help. Oh and wonderful site you have to prob gonna be doin some shopping there after tax time. smile.gif

Jared, what Ross is saying is that the biggest pattern you can go with 5 lug on the Datsun parts is 5 x 4.5. To get a larger pattern from the max on the Datsun parts to accomodate other wheels (yours may or may not need them) is to use spacers or adapters that Ross supplies. If the offset that you want to run requires some spacers, he'll know what you need. Hopefully he'll chime back in, but if he's out today, you can always email him directly to answer questions---Lord knows I have!!!

Davy

Thanks davy I got most of what ross was saying. I was more concerned with the total cost of this conversion and what I need to look for parts wise. Im on a pretty tight budget so I need the cheapest form of this conversion possible more or less and need to know what my options are as far as parts that can be used goes. Thanks for any and all input guys

Guest Anonymous

Jared.. keep in mind if you convert the front hubs to (300ZX) five lug will add one inch on each side to your width and the adapters will also increase the width. Going to five lugs in the rear will remain the same but adding wheel adapters will add extra width. Some times this works with front drive wheels on a Z.. Nezzie 76 bought a set of 8 inch rear wheel drive (300ZX) Ford bolt (5 by 4 1/2) pattern wheels for his Vello Rossa.The rear adapter and width problem to fill in the Vello Rossa wheel well was solved by a stroke of luck finding an eBay Datsun/Ford pair of adapters.The wheels cannot be drilled out for the 4 stud Datsun pattern beacause a Chevy bolt pattern was drilled in addition to the Ford 5. Adapting the 4 stud front hub to the 5 bolt gives too much offset to the 8 inch wide wheels making them 9 inches which would stick the tires out past the front fenders. A solution for the front may be to heliarc weld the Chev holes in the wheel soiid and add about 3 holes for the Datsun 4 bolt pattern

I had the same problem finding a modern wheel wider than 7" or 8". Then there is the whole offset/bolt pattern/wheel spacer/adapter thing. :mad: In the end it was just cheaper and simpler to buy semi-custom billit wheels.

Measure, give them your specs, send a check, done.

Well heres my problem I want 10 inch wheels in the back since I have flares maybe even 11 or 12 wide that is and in the front I dont have flares and I need about an 8 inch wheel. Im running coil overs so thats not a problem but my issue is I want modern wheels and the honda adaptors are awesome as long as you run the same wheels in both front and back. However I havnt been able to locate any honda wheelse in say a five spoke contemporary design that I could mix and match with some 8 inch wide tires in the front. Maybe I should make a new post for all that but Ill see if I can get any ideas. bmw makes sets of wheels that are 8.5 in the front and 10 or 10.5 wide in the rear but with the wacky offset. Well thanks again for all your help guys

Guest Anonymous

Jared ,to re-phrase. Some member has your answer but not come forth yet.That is a modern Mustang 8 1/2 wide wheel you are trying to adapt on a Z front. You need to know the backspace on that Sallen wheel which is substantial. With 2 inch adapters, you may clear the struts if the backspace is 6 or less inches I know that an 8 inch wide wheel with 3 1/2 inch back space will clear a stock front strut

Im excited looks like we are making progress

does anyone think that the 2 inch adaptor is a bad thing I know porsches use a similar setup I play on running 400 hp max 300 min depends on my setup would that be too much for the adaptors. the price isnt bad at all. Thanks for the input so far guys

Guest Anonymous

The 2 inch adapters appear to be heavy duty.In fact are extremely well designed as two pieces Pete P swears by the use of adapters and makes a good argument to support his opinion. I was not aware these adapters were available in such a wide variety. Years ago with the use of reversed wheels on old cars there was a lot of spindle and axle breaking but may have been due to the quality of the OEM steel suspension parts

Have you looked at the aftermarket Mustang Cobra "R" wheels? The ones in my sig picture are 17x10.5 rear and 17x9 front. The nice thing is that they are 5 on 4.5 and the fronts fit perfect if you use the 300ZX hubs (ie, no spacers or flares) and coil-overs. The rears are re-drilled and use spacers (1.5" I think) with coil-overs and 1.75" flares. Mine are painted, but chromed or polished are also options.

Paul