HybridZ

holley backfires, any ideas?

I finally got my exhaust hooked up, but I am not happy with the way the motor runs. If I leave the idle at about 800, the carburetor (new holley 390 on an arizona z car manifold will backfire about every 10 seconds)

the manifold vacuum is about 17 inches at idle

crane cam

electronic distributor with 12-80 module

timing set at 12 degrees btdc

just rebuilt the engine, 2.8 flatop pistons

any ideas?

I'll recheck the valve clearances tomorrow

I am getting 12 volts to the coil.

I checked the float level, the gas is right at the inspection hole. It has a brand new electric fuel pump, but I haven't checked the pressure at the carb. The timing is at 12 degrees, I had it at 10, no difference. The vacuum advance is working fine, rebuilt distributor. I have an ACCEL 12v. coil on it.

I checked the cam clearances this AM, they were fine, noticed the 3 and 4 spark plugs were sooty and the others were a nice tan. I double checked the plug wire order, and sure enough, 3 and 4 were reversed. So I put it right and now it runs GREAT!!! Way better than my (tired) 280z with fuel injection. I can really feel that 4 barrel open up. Thanks all for your suggestions, check the simple stuff first.