HybridZ

cracked turbo manifold

texis30O

I have noticed a crack in my turbo manifold. I will fix it when I start the teardown of the turbo kit and send off the parts to be rebuilt/refinished. I am wondering if there is a certian type of weld that I should have done to it to help make it more secure. Mig, Tig.....I am not sure since I am not a welder.......After it is welded I will have it recoated with a heat resistant coating.

Thanks Sean

the manifold is made of cast iron. You will need a competant welding shop to perform the repair. The shop I use heats the cast red hot with a torch at the spot to be welded before welding.

Unfortunately, the repair might cost more than a replacement manifold. All depends on how long it takes for the guy to fix it and how much they charge per hour.

peace

tc

I have noticed a crack in my turbo manifold. I will fix it when I start the teardown of the turbo kit and send off the parts to be rebuilt/refinished. I am wondering if there is a certian type of weld that I should have done to it to help make it more secure. Mig, Tig.....I am not sure since I am not a welder.......After it is welded I will have it recoated with a heat resistant coating.

Thanks Sean

Crap. It's always something. "If it's not one thing, it's something." (Rosanne Rosana Dana)

I'm really thinking hard about going to injection. There is hardly anyone who knows anything about Tom's system and less that wants to work on it. I already have all the parts with my debacle with someone on this site.

Car already has forged pistons, F54 block, "O" ring P90a heads, R200 LSD. That should be a good basis.

You are getting me to lean that way as well. But I think that if I go to EFI I want to have a RB26 under the hood.....although my motor is already built to the hilt. If I keep the L24 I need to get a intake manifold, turbo manifold, EMS, injectors, new fuel pump( might as well get a fuel cell while I am at it) and all of the other goodies. I would not know where to put the knock sensor though........

I have thought about FI also, but I am going to stay with the carb and current setup. I do primary use the car for trackdays and so did the previous owner. Tom built the setup I have for the walter mitty and in the 25 years it was driven very hard with good success. That being said I still don't run it to 7200 like the guy who had it before me, but he has slightly deeper pockets also. I pulls hard enough for me at 6000 and 10 psi.

I was thinking this morning about placing a classified add for my Turbo Tom's fuel injection kit. It is 75% complete need a ECU, I was thinking megasquirt, a Turbine housing, and someone with lots of time to fabricate the remaining plumbing and plenum. Tom was going to go with the TEC III and I have the HPV now, so the I have 3 electromotive coil packs (electromive p/n 33600). I am not sure how the mega squirt guys run their ignition and if these packs could be used.

What do you think this stuff if worth and would anyone be interested as a whole? I have all of TurboTom's invoices linking this stuff back to his shop from 02-04 and the unit cost.

-CustomAiReasearch T4/T04E-60 turbo, w/ceramic ball-berring water cooled center housing, stage 5 turbine wheel, special machined tangental .63 housing. By custom and special, these are to TT's specs.

-Tial stainless steel wastegate, i have the measure to see what size, but way bigger than my current wastegate.

-New Nissan exhuast manifold with a custom flange so compressor will clear the manifold.

- Qty 6 - Bosch 55 lb/hr injectors, blueprinted by Marren fuel injection.

- Turbo Tom's intake/injector mount. Turbo Tom's is CNCed into the top of the flange and Six runners to match up. Plenum and runner length would need to be done to fit the intercooler plumbing path chosen.

-Fuel rail

- Nissan throttle body, cleaned up and all the useless ports jb welded by tt.

- Tps, Idle air control valve to fit the throttle body.

- Big air/air intercooler blank, i can measure it but to guess it is 3" x 16 x 18, again caps would need to be fabricated to match the plumbing route taken.

I am planning on completing the fabrication, but need another car. And that is not going to happen anytime soon. I would rather see someone make use of these parts.

DSCN0324_thumb.JPG

Funniest thing, I just pm'ed texis300 about the parts I purchased for similar project except by the piece. I wasn't aware that Tom was doing injected turbo kits.

When I spoked to him about that time, he was heavy into airplanes and didn't seem he was interested in doing anything else. I asked him about bringing my car to him and he informed me that I would be awhile before he could get to it and never did before I was informed that he was killed.

Anyway, I am not sure how you much you have, but I know I have (or will) spent $4200 in just parts. You stuff is probably worth more. The problem about keeping all of parts, is obsolescence. The longer you keep the less it 's worth. i.e. I was trying to get a gasket for the Deltagate before discovering it was the same as the Evolution wastegate. NOBODY at Turbonectics knew or didn't want to tell me.

If texis300 is going to convert, this might be an interest to him. I would be if I didn't have this other stuff.

John