HybridZ

Question about cutting the LT1 harness.

Guys:

I'm moving all of the electronics into the wiper box area so that all of the wiring will come out the hole where the wiper wiring used to come out. Problem is obviously that the wiring connectors for the computer and the various relays are too big to fit through that hole.

What I would like to do is to clip the harness to fit all of the connectors in and then use a weatherpak connector that would connect everything just inside of the engine bay. Moving the harness here will also allow me to shorten it up and get rid of some of the excess length.

Will cutting and then creating a connection like I've described comprimise the strength of the signal?

Any thoughts or concerns?

Bryan

That won't be a problem as long as you solder them well, don't rely on crimp connectors for this. But you're talking about a ton on wires. I'd cut them one at a time so you don't get confused since many of these are the same color but go to different connectors. GM is good at keeping color code consistant but you never know. Also there is a grounding method and ground bundles should only be tired together at the chassis.

Another option is to pull the pins from the large connectors that plug into the PCM. Label each wire as you remove it from the connector, feed it through the hole and then plug it back into the same spot in the connector.

This way you don't have to cut a wire unless you really need to change it's length.

Wheelman

I'm with JBC3, make the hole bigger its going to save you hours of work. I shortened and lengthened a lot of wires when I swapped in the Camaro full chassis harness but there was no way I was going to attack the PCM wiring, just too many wires.

Well, I'm pleased to report that I didn't have to cut or make the hole bigger at all. I ended up testing the various connectors on the harness to see which would fit and found that all would fit (just barely).

I fed the entire harness through the wiper side of the box into the engine bay and connected it to the computer.

I'll get some pics up here in a little bit.

Thanks for the input....I think I'm about 2 weeks away from sliding the motor and tranny in!

Bryan