HybridZ

1982 280ZX NA to Turbo Conversion

I'm looking at grabbing said car in the next couple of weeks, but before I do, I want to know what to expect from my plans for it:

The name of the game is obviously turbo drop. I'd like to build it up to the 250-300whp range. I'm still deciding twin vs single, but that's not the main issue right now.

For some background, before the swap I'll be putting in larger injectors, some sort of computerized fuel system and boost control. Once I get the budget for the swap, I'll drop in the turbo(s) and intercooling at the same time. What I need to know is this:

-What kind of modifications/replacements will have to be done to the stock NA components to get them daily drivable and raceable with that amount of power?

-What level of boost should I be shooting for to get into that HP range?

-Would a direct component/engine swap from the 280zxt be more cost effective than going the aftermarket route?

-I've toyed with the idea of the 3.1 stroker + turbo route, yes/no?

-What kind of budget should I allow for this type of project? It needs to be fairly modest, considering I'm a college student and all :wink:. I'm hoping to aim around or under 5k, is that realistic?

I'm know similar stuff has been asked before, but i've searched the forum and most people talk about swaps from the 280zxt, but don't get into the kind of specifics I'm looking for. Once I get the answers I need, and if I do indeed pick up the car, I'll start a build thread to catalog my progress. TIA!

EDIT: I've added some pics of the car in question. I'd be removing the dash and fabbing something out of sheet metal, so its crappiness isn't an issue. The body I'd completely sand down and paint (thus taking care of those nasty rust spots pictured), and the interior i'd eventually sandblast and rubber coat.

IMG_1646_thumb.jpg

IMG_1647_thumb.jpg

IMG_1649_thumb.jpg

IMG_1653_thumb.jpg

Is that $1400 grabbing parts from a junkyard/parts car or is that with aftermarket stuff? What numbers are you shooting for with that twin turbo setup? I noticed that you're also starting with a turbo motor, and I'd be starting with the NA motor, so it seems like I'd need some different internals.

From what little I know, I expect the fuel system to be around $500-1K (megasquirt maybe?), the turbo(s) and intercooler and (custom?) piping i'm hoping to get away with about $2-3k, then probably another $500-1k for random other related parts. Does that seem to be on base? I'd be ecstatic about spending 3k over 5k if possible.

Is that $1400 grabbing parts from a junkyard/parts car or is that with aftermarket stuff? What numbers are you shooting for with that twin turbo setup? I noticed that you're also starting with a turbo motor, and I'd be starting with the NA motor, so it seems like I'd need some different internals.

From what little I know, I expect the fuel system to be around $500-1K (megasquirt maybe?), the turbo(s) and intercooler and (custom?) piping i'm hoping to get away with about $2-3k, then probably another $500-1k for random other related parts. Does that seem to be on base? I'd be ecstatic about spending 3k over 5k if possible.

$3-5 is possible. closer to 5+ would be a more realistic/reliable build from my reading... and i've done a LOT...

a 280zxt transplant is the easiest way to get a turbo in the car hands down IMO. then upgrade the head (port work, valves etc), IC and plumbing and turbo upgrade will put you in the 3-5k I would think.

someone correct me if i'm wrong

jason

Hmm I see. I dunno, from my point of view it would be much easier to just hold out and find a 280zxt. No offense intended, but swapping engines just seems a waste of money since the car comes with one, lol. I don't know how much you can pick up an engine like that for though.

The guy that's selling it said he has $1400 in the brakes and $1400 in suspension, and they're asking $2950 for it, so basically selling the car for $150. I guess in that case buying a motor for it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but how would it affect my budget?

i've seen F54 blocks with heads on them for $500.

add turbo manifold ($50-150), turbo ($400), engine management ($1000), IC and plumbing ($600), downpipe ($200) then add optional head work and you are on your way.

$2850 incl. engine plus head work if u want. thats rough ... like i said 3-5 is ball park depending on quality of parts and if you upgrade anything

yeah i didnt buy anything new that i didnt need to buy... parts locally or from ebay to get the best deals... but no cheap parts. I do have a N/A motor as well. I don't know if your car uses dished pistons or flat top but I have the 8.3:1 compression dished pistons and i'm going to run the N/A block. If your HP goals are moderate then the N/A block is fine, but the more cost effective way would be to find a turbo block. There are NONE around GA just whole turbo cars that are 2500ish

• 3 weeks later...