HybridZ

F54 + P90 + turbo?

janaka

So I've finally found ONE shop in my area that has a datsun motor, ironically enough the owner has restored his ZX and had a spare motor built that he now has no intentions of using. This engine hasn't even been turned over yet. the block is said to be out of a 1980 ZX (parts car) that was rebuilt with the flat top pistons and the head is a P90. I'm looking to do a turbo swap for my car but I was really hoping for the dished pistons but such is life. the head was said to have been ported and polished, new valve seals etc.

is this block worth buying for a turbo project? If I read correctly the CR on this will be about 8.5-8.6:1 based on a stock rebuild?

He is asking $1500 for the block/head and all accessories included.

Deal or no deal?

FWIW I have a F54 and P79 head in my Z now that is a recent rebuild with a cam etc in it...

The flat top P90 combo will be what I'll do if I decide to stay L in the long run. You get the off boost response of an NA Z with the added power of the turbo.

That said, $1500 seems a little high for me, as my car was $1800 with a parts car, wheels that sold for $800, boxes and boxes of spares and NOS parts, as well as a never ran L28E that I installed in my car before I went turbo.

Mario

ok update on this the shop called me back and he was wrong about the head...

the head is the N42.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the N42 head with flat top pistons equate to a 10.5:1 CR? if so I may go with this and stay NA.I've read (and read) that the n42 is the best head for making good power...

Add a larger cam and 200rwhp should be doable?