HybridZ

Which Tire would be harder on stub axels???

I'm trying to figure out which tire I'm going to run next season in my 280z. I've been trying to decide between these two. I'm just not sure if the shorter wider tire would be easier on the stubs then the narrower taller tire??? What are the general rules of thumb for drivetrain abuse and tire size?

MT 26x11.5x15 ET Streets

Or

MT 28X9X15 ET Streets

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreet

Regards,

Justin

What are the general rules of thumb for drivetrain abuse and tire size?

Rule of thumb?

Less weight, less width, less height, and less traction = less forces on the drivetrain. Putting no wheels on at all would be a great choice for you, if avoiding abusing the drivetrain is your primary goal. The rotational mass will be very close to the axle, the weight will be minimal, and you'll have almost no traction at all! :wink:

As John notes, that's a pretty unusual fundamental criteria for choosing a tire, since you are in effect looking for the worst tire performance. A better mindset would probably be to look for the best performer at the lightest weight, while keeping tire height down as much as possible within your target effective final gear ratio.

I've just read that the taller the tire, the more halfshaft and stub axel problems I would have. I would like to run a 28X9 or 28x10.5 tire, but I'm worried about the stub axels. I would benefit on using a taller tire since I'll be using the R200 3.54 R&P with a TH400.

I don't feel my criteria are weird. I'm trying to choose a combination that will be more reliable.

Z-Gad runs the 26X11.5

JnJ runs the 28X9

Justin

I think Doc Hawk gave you the answer.

But then again, those are some massive sized meats. You must have a pretty stout motor and suspension to make use of all that tire. If you drive a car with meats like that the way it was meant to be driven, then you need to be concerned about stub axles, and everything else in the drivetrain.

What I have gathered from endless hours reading on this site is if you do routine inspections, you can catch impending stub axle failures before they occur.

Buy the tire that gives you the best performance and protect yourself from stub axle failures via your inspection methods.