HybridZ

Not Z related but... difficult to put into first gear.

Hello all, I've got a 1991 Ford Ranger with the standard transmission. My porblem is that it's difficult to put into first gear. Almost like it's catching on something. Perhaps the synchros are bad? The other gears do this also, but not nearly as bad. Sometimes I've got to jiggle the stick around and push hard to get it into first.

What do some of you recommend I do about it? This truck has got to last me a few more years until I can afford a new truck. With it's decent fuel economy (around 24 city) and cheap insurance (around $80/month) it's a big money saver, but a pain in the ass to drive.

Any opinions on a route of action?

Check your clutch slave if you've got one, if it's going out, first will be difficult(due to not being able to get full extension on the slave), but the rest will be easy since you're moving. Had this happen, putting in a new slave fixed it.

I never thought of that. I'm going to need a new clutch soon, so while I'm down there, I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it is clutch too, but if you are under there anyways I would try and check the transmission fluid.

My 93 ranger had the transmission go out because of a tranny leak. During my search for a new transmission I learned that this transmission has a well documented problem with losing its transmission fluid and then going out at around 120,000 miles. Just something to check while you are under there.