HybridZ

Removing Chassis Wiring Harness

78280z

I was going to remove the chassis wiring harness today so I could take it inside and troubleshoot it. However, I cannot get the part of the harness out that connects to the overhead lamp and the rear defroster (it runs from the passenger side up behind the passenger rear quarter panel and then runs along the roof where it connects to the rear defroster and the interior lamp). Is there some trick to getting this part out? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

If I remember correctly you'll need to remove the plastic trim on the roof. But to do that you need to remove the side trim first and to do that you need to remove the trim piece on the shock tower and to do that you need to remove the hatch strut on the passenger side. Because of the overlap its very difficult if not impossible to do it any other way. PITA!

Haha. Thanks for the reply, I know what a PITA it is to get all of that junk off. The good news is that I have everything off except for the hatch strut on the passenger side and the trim piece on/above/behind the shock tower. I don't know how to get the hatch strut off since it seems that the bolts for it are welded to the bracket. Is there a way to get the bracket off?

Haha. Thanks for the reply, I know what a PITA it is to get all of that junk off. The good news is that I have everything off except for the hatch strut on the passenger side and the trim piece on/above/behind the shock tower. I don't know how to get the hatch strut off since it seems that the bolts for it are welded to the bracket. Is there a way to get the bracket off?

The nuts are welded... the bolts are on the back side where you can not see them. When you pull the wiring out be sure to tie a piece of string or wire onto the defrost wires so when you pull them out you pull the string into place that way you have a way to put the wires back in later (tie them to the string and pull them back into place).

Dragonfly

Oh yeah, I forgot about that little quirk in the design. What the hell were they thinking, LOL?

The nuts are welded... the bolts are on the back side where you can not see them. When you pull the wiring out be sure to tie a piece of string or wire onto the defrost wires so when you pull them out you pull the string into place that way you have a way to put the wires back in later (tie them to the string and pull them back into place).

Dragonfly