HybridZ

Speedo conversion, mech. to electronic

jerryb

Im considering one of three things for my RB20 install.

---Installing Speedo and tach from a RB25

or

---Installing a Stewart Warner Speedo and tach that I picked up real cheap

or

---Stay with the mechanical speedo and convert to a skyline Tach

Now I understand that the RB tranny runs a mechanical Speedo so I will need to generate a pulse for the electronic speedo to work. I have searched around and have found that Dakota Digital makes this ....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=109/category_id=311/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd109.htm

prd_sp_42.jpg

As I see it, to make the SW speedo work I ask DD to make an output connector that connects to the RB20 tranny. Wire the pulse generator to the speedo and calibrate it. In all likelihood over simplified but more or less.

The RB25 speedo may be another matter...it may work on a different pulse and will unlikely have calibration capabilities.

I think I prefer the OEM look over the SW pieces but the SW may be easier with fewer problems.

Has anyone used this device? Am I on the right track? What do you think I should do?

• 2 weeks later...

First off which trans?

RB25 AND RB20det trannies will accept a z32 or a 240sx speed sensor. The pulse count is different between the S13 and S14 speed sensors btw.

Should be able to program any aftermarket speedo to work with these.

I know for a fact that the above statement is true for the rb25 trans because I did it in my 240sx.

Evan

Clive is wrecking a Z31? Ok I will give hime a call. Thanx Doug!

Jerry

I actually got emails from Clive to get the Transmission on that Z31 if he has room for it. I would take it but he's in Hamilton. He said he knew someone with an RB engine and said it sat really nice in the engine bay. I think he was talking about yours.

You should grab it if you have an RB20 Transmission and you're gonna put some extra kick into it. The engine is out of the car sitting beside the engine (or attached to it). The car itself is on it's side.

It's an 88 turbo Z31, so it has an FS5R30A transmission like that of the RB25, Z32T, and RB26 internals.

If you can find an RB25 or 26 bell-housing, you will be able to use it with your RB20 flywheel and clutch too.

I actually got emails from Clive to get the Transmission on that Z31 if he has room for it. I would take it but he's in Hamilton. He said he knew someone with an RB engine and said it sat really nice in the engine bay. I think he was talking about yours.

You should grab it if you have an RB20 Transmission and you're gonna put some extra kick into it. The engine is out of the car sitting beside the engine (or attached to it). The car itself is on it's side.

It's an 88 turbo Z31, so it has an FS5R30A transmission like that of the RB25, Z32T, and RB26 internals.

If you can find an RB25 bell-housing, you will be able to use it with your RB20 flywheel and clutch too.

You can also use an RB26dett bellhousing. Thats what I have on my Z31t transmission!

Definitely grab it!!!

Evan

• 2 months later...