HybridZ

engine smoking.

timek1m

ok, got a quick question, i have a 1975 280z with a L28 engine i just changed the water pump, radiator, thermostat, and almost every possible gasket for the cooling in the car along with heater hose, and radiator hoses, should the engine be smoking? what could cause it? it looks like it is smoking from under the intake. maybe all the radiator coolant got on something? or not? but it started smoking right after i started te car and it the car was cold before i started it? any ideas? thanks.

As suggested it could just be all your oily finger prints on the headers and such. If it's coolant then it will be steam, not smoke. This will be whitish and will not continue into the atmosphere for long. In contrast, oil burn-off is blue and remains visible.

If it's oil then the only places it can come from is by bypassing the oil control ring of pistons (worn bores or oil control rings) or by getting past the oil seals of the valves. This is caused by worn valve guides or oil seals.

Hope this helps.

alrite, been busy so havent got around to the car will do this friday. now that i think about it, the info you guys gave is great. i dont think it was steam it was smoke. i have a feeling its a gasket... i know it isnt the thermostat housing. that is for sure i double checked that make times. but will do on friday thanks. again its a good think im still getting feed on this. gives me more to think about. thanks again.