HybridZ

454 small block

Guest lethal280z

Guest lethal280z

ok heres the deal, im leaving for iraq on dec 22nd and was just considering a motown 454 small block swap into my 76 280z when i get home. heres the proposed combo, 454 short block, brodix 18X heads, around 240 @ .050, solid roller cam, team g, a built 2004r, full cage and through floor subframe connectors. i know the factory diffs hold up pretty well, but im sure not through what i want to make. i want to leave the IRS in it, what upgrades do i need to try to hold together? it will be mainly a street/ strip car, so no slicks, but will have drag radials. thanks for any suggestions

I've been using (and abusing) a Bill Mitchell 454 SBC for over a year now in my 240Z. The motor has gone through a number of intake, carb, fuel injection iterations and I have no complaints at all. I am currently in the midst of installing a twin turbo system (see posts this forum) and I am doing that because my experience with my particular Motown engine is superior. All internals are forged and use ARP L19 rod bolts so I am not afraid of the longivity.

I agree with Grumpy on both selections, especially the Shafiroff motors...please note, the Ohiocrank 454 uses Motown block, intake etc. Not sure what cam they are using, as they are only advertising 455 hp and 550 lb ft of torque while mine is dyno tested at 600 hp @ 6100 and 585 lb ft of torque at 4850 on pump gas with a 1050 dominator.

I would be leery of the 700r4 behind that motor...you can make them live, but it takes someone who really knows how to modify them. If you are looking to cruise at low rpm, a 4l80E is a much more viable option in being able to withstand the rigors of the right foot.

Wayne

Guest lethal280z

yank has a 2004r that supposedly will handle 1000 ft/lbs of torque, i know its expensive but im trying to keep away from the electronics that come with fuel injection and newer overdrives. i know i have seen 300zx turbo rears installed, but is it worth it and how much trouble is it? will the halfshafts take that much abuse? what about where the halfshafts hook to the wheels?

lethal i have a set of the brodix 18x's i want to sell. they come with the intake and shaft mount T&D rockers will seperate. i also have a cam that would work. i have this combo on a 420, the car weighs 2750 with driver. 3.73 with 28" tire runs 9.43@143.9 1.44 60ft. pm me if your interested in this combo i will let it go for a good price.

lethal i have a set of the brodix 18x's i want to sell. they come with the intake and shaft mount T&D rockers will seperate. i also have a cam that would work. i have this combo on a 420, the car weighs 2750 with driver. 3.73 with 28" tire runs 9.43@143.9 1.44 60ft. pm me if your interested in this combo i will let it go for a good price.

That's fricken nuts, haha.

" i know i have seen 300zx turbo rears installed, but is it worth it and how much trouble is it? will the halfshafts take that much abuse? what about where the halfshafts hook to the wheels?"

If you want to know what the stock rear setups will hold, you should talk to J&J racing, RIP, Z-Gad and a few others that routinely abuse them. In the mean time, an R-230 (ring gear is larger than a 9" Ford) from a '90-'96 300ZXTT, Moser axle shafts with 300ZXTT CV nts on both ends and billet companion shafts make it pretty much bullet-proof.

Wayne