HybridZ

Suspension Techniques spring rate?

Anyone know what the ST spring rates are? I bought them from Marc Sayer (if anyone remembers him) about 14 years ago +/-. I've searched about from time to time, but never found anything.

I ask because this thing beats me the hell up. Took it out for a drive yesterday, and good golly, I was sore after a forty minute spirited drive on some nasty chewed up roads. FWIW, the car has 215/60R15 Michelins, full PU bushings.

My struts are KYB 4-way adjustables, which were NLA when I bought them 14 years ago. To prevent riceboy oscillation, I have them set at full stiff front, 3/4 on the rear.

I continually debate with myself the wisdom of investing in coilovers/camber plates (biscuits)/struts for a car whose brakes are borderline anyway.... seems like I'm looking at $1000 for suspension and $1500 for brakes. $2500 buys a lot of go fast parts for my Miata.

At any rate, turn-in sucks, overall balance is not too bad, a touch understeery, overall grip is excellent considering the crappy tires, but the ride is miserable.

Thanks for any input, guys!

The springs are black... heh, by now, everything under the car is black.

Agreed, John, that the ride harshness comes from the struts; pretty sure the carts are only rebound adjustable (isn't that SOP for inexpensive adjustables?)

But if I back them off, the car bounces like a ricer on the bumpstops... Heck, though, it's easy enough to try.

Thanks for the input, guys.

• 1 year later...