HybridZ

Need some advice about starting a project - 240z

I just came across this on ebay (please don't steal it! :mrgreen:)

Now, my original plan was to grab a local 280zx (NA) and swap the turbo motor into it, but then I found this auction. I've always liked the 1st gen body better, but thought it was a less realistic goal for now than starting with a solid 280zx and just swapping engines.

It looks like the yellow frame car is in very good condition. I'm assuming that I could just sandblast it and do some rust prevention, prime and paint it and it'd be good? Then I could just swap all the parts from the blue one onto the yellow one, and take my time to rebuild the engine. It doesn't sound too bad in my mind, but that's where I'm hoping yall can enlighten me.

I just need some advice into the depth of a project like this. This summer I'll have the time and resources to do the work, and I'm willing to learn. I just want to know what to expect.

As far as swapping the parts over, I should have all the tools I need (including welder just in case, and cherry picker), except a plasma-cutter (probably wouldn't need anyway) and a spring compressor to put the suspension on. What else am I not thinking about?

Some insight into my skills:

-Interior work is limited. I've replaced A-pillars, done some carpet work, taken dashes apart and so forth, that kind of stuff. But I only plan to swap in the dash and seats, and leave the rest bare.

-Body work is limited, basic sanding and repainting, not too much dent work, but I could learn.

-Engine work is pretty decent. I've pulled an engine to work on, and helped with a rebuild or two, so I know my way around.

I'm a college student, so summers and weekends are the name of the game. Based on the condition of the cars, do yall think it's doable for someone in my position? I'm just kinda second guessing myself at this point, but I'm afraid if I wait till later it'll be hard to find a good deal like this in the future. Plus I'm itching to start a project car of some kind.

• 2 months later...

This unbeknownst to me at the time ended up being the infamous "Larry Temple". Good thing I didn't end up going this route. I can't find the thread dsommer wrote about him, must have gotten deleted or something, but I'm sure some of you remember that whole spiel. Oh well...

CASE CLOSED!

Refer Here: What I ended up Getting

Both I and dsommer both drove out to tulsa (him intending to purchase the yellow shell). It basically came down to him not representing the car's condition very accurately. The rear roll pan was all torn up, one fender had a considerable hole through it, there was a poor patch in one of the fenderwell/firewall areas, one of the doglegs was toast, etc etc.

On top of that, he was trying to play the "California car, early year model, collector car" card to jack up the price way more than a bare shell in its condition was worth.

Something else about a non-refunded deposit too IIRC.

I don't want to go into too much detail, since it seems the old thread detailing the problems was deleted or something. I can't find it for the life of me.

Both I and dsommer both drove out to tulsa (him intending to purchase the yellow shell). It basically came down to him not representing the car's condition very accurately. The rear roll pan was all torn up, one fender had a considerable hole through it, there was a poor patch in one of the fenderwell/firewall areas, one of the doglegs was toast, etc etc.

On top of that, he was trying to play the "California car, early year model, collector car" card to jack up the price way more than a bare shell in its condition was worth.

Something else about a non-refunded deposit too IIRC.

I don't want to go into too much detail, since it seems the old thread detailing the problems was deleted or something. I can't find it for the life of me.

Just from that it kinda sounds like it's a good thing he didn't respond. Although I did see that the shell wasn't as good as he was claiming in some of the pictures, I saw the rust of the passenger (IIRC) wheel well along with a few other things. The only reason I would have considered paying $1500 (what he was asking) was because it was a complete car and a better shell. I could have sold off what was good from the extra parts and reduced my overall cost.

But I found a better condition '73 anyway, just waiting on some paper work to make the arrangments to get her home. #152391 belongs to me. :D